Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Sydney Day 6

Our last full day and we are off to the suburbs. Unfortunately two railway stations past where my ticket allows me to go. I had to buy a supplementary ticket for $4.40 return. Nobody checked and there were no barriers at Loftus railway station.

We were off to the Tramway Museum of Sydney. It is a decent train ride of maybe fifty minutes, made much longer by it being located on the Eastern suburbs to Illawarra line that does not go through St James and Museum stations, meaning we had to change trains. It was an opportunity to see Central Station from a different perspective.

The train journey was uneventful and we passed through suburbs I had never heard the name of. Actually there are some in Melbourne I have never heard of.

We had a bite to eat in sleepy Loftus and crossed the train line to the Museum. The museum is very good and the two for one entry made it cheap. This is the tram I really wanted to ride on, the second last tram type built in Sydney, and R class. Luckily it was out and running this day. We took a brief journey up to near the Sutherland train station and back. The driver was a youngish guy and VERY enthusiastic in his driving. The tram felt quite like an old Melbourne W class tram. Pretty stylish looking beast I reckon.

We then transferred onto this ex Brisbane tram, built only a few years before the Brisbane tram system closed. Australia's first tram with fluorescent interior lighting, we were told. I looks odd on the outside and felt a bit train like inside. This ride took us across the Princes Highway and into the Royal National Park. The driver was very relaxed and professional.

A fellow passenger lass who I had taken no notice of came up to me and asked me if I was Andrew. Whoaaa, I am freaking here. My instinct was to say no, but I didn't. I had no idea of who she was, even when staring into her face and hearing her voice. However, once she mentioned that she used to roller blade to work, and then through the workplace, I worked out who she was. I worked with her about ten years ago and I remember her best for her pet goose that she used to walk along Punt Road. We had a bit of a chat about our respective lives. The world is a small place.

This O class tram was also being used on the day, but I did not get to ride on it. Certainly plenty of fresh air on this tram.

This sad sight was spied along the way into the park.


Some trams just fall to pieces and others meet an inglorious inferno end, as can be seen by this photo in the museum.


The museum itself was interesting with lots of photos and bits and pieces and quite a number of trams. Look what I found you Vik, a Japanese tram.

Isn't this photo of Circular Quay, also in the museum, just great.


The museum is very well set up with facilities for barbecues, plenty of shelter and interest for kids. The volunteer staff are friendly and helpful. It is an example to all tram museums. Long may it prosper.

We took the train back and that night ate at a modest Asian restaurant in Oxford Street after a drink at the Shift. Another bowl of weird hot and sour soup, very different to the one in China Town, but just as odd.

Bedtime and hometime tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tram museum so much.

    I think it's great that you're so interested in trains. You know...I adore people who are passionate about things.

    Cool that you saw that person you used to know.

    I definitely agree that it's small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the NSW Government could be persuaded that trams can play some part in Sydney's public transport future but they remain resolutely against it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You went all the say to Sydney to look at museum quality trams, when Melbourne still runs them daily along its paid lines?

    Weirdo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Brisbane tram looks thoroughly Modern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was built in the early sixties, but probably an earlier design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loverboy2:09 pm

    That first tram is indeed like the old Melbourne trams, I remember Saturdays up Swan Street: everyone packed in for the footy, conducter can't get through to sell tickets, ah nostalgia!
    I've never seen the Quay so crowded, maybe it was a festival day or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:38 pm

    'We took the train back and that night ate at a modest Asian restaurant in Oxford Street after a drink at the Shift'

    Would that be Snakebean restaurant few doors up from Shift?

    When next in Sydney try the Bus Meusem in Tempe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:21 pm

    Ooooh, an old Japanese tram! Vik.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loftus have a good setup.

    Other tram museums could learn a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh one of my best friends lives in Loftus.

    That is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Circular Quay pic! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tram museum looks great. Must make an effort to visit it when in Sydney some time.

    Circular Quay is unrecognisable in that photo compared to today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Passionate about many things Dina, devoted to none. I admire people who can talk for a long time about a specific subject and make it interesting.

    Victor something straight down George or Pitt Street, separated from cars.

    Mutant, funnily one chap there said, pity we did not know you were a Melbourne visitor as we could have got a Melbourne tram out to run. No!!! I can do that at home.

    I think I sent you a photo of once already hey Vik.

    Certainly could Andy.

    Fenz, wow. It did look sleepy.

    Cazzie, perhaps not the safest place to stroll though.

    Surprised you haven't been Ben. Go on a Sunday when there is a bit of life around I think. Sydney is quite good at destroying history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving that museum, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LB, and they are still running in Chapel Street, but not for too much longer I hear.

    It was Snakebean Anon. I forgot the name oddly as it is a weird name. I am aware there is a bus museum but I did not know where. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jayne, call it a template for other tram museums.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1:48 pm

    "It was Snakebean Anon. I forgot the name oddly as it is a weird name"

    My ex is the chef there. He has a new cookbook out, you can check out at
    http://www.asianpantry.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anon, you publicise your ex's book? Must have been a amicable parting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:33 am

    Yeah dump one and move onto the next....hehehe.

    Yes we are still very good friends.

    Life's too short to be bitter and twisted.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.