Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Singing Grannie

My grandmother used to sing to us kids. She would often alter the words of popular songs of her youth to slip in our names or local references. EG, There's an old fashion track winding back to a shack along the road to Warragul North. Where the messmates are growing, the Tanjil River's flowing.....you get the idea.

While at work yesterday, I worked the same song out to include Little Jo and some references to her world, without Wiggles and Tro Tro. She is probably a bit young to get them yet. But I have it my head for the future.

I worked on a few other songs too. No one could hear me and I was enjoying myself. Hole in the bucket worked well with Little Jo cast in the role Henry and fix everything Bone Doctor as Liza.

I rarely sing, but I was having fun. The Mary Hopkins song Those Were the Days I know most of the words to. Why I have no idea. I just do. So I sang that to myself.

Then it was the turn of that French song. I have no idea how to spell the name, but something like Ouletta, gentle little bird. When I was a kid, I translated the song into French and that is what I can remember. My translation does not exactly match the usual French words to it.

Must be time for another Aussie song. Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree. Merry merry king of the bush is he. Laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra, gay your life must be.

Meanwhile in the darkest suburbs south east of the city, some kookaburra biffo was happening. I love kookaburras an it is great to hear of them coming in close to the city.

9 comments:

  1. I've become quite the expert at tailoring the Play School theme to include family names. Makes the young ones smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do you tour as the new Magenta Wiggle?
    Can we get tickets?
    Will there be a conspiracy clash with Wake Up Jeff purple Wiggle (and does he snore) ?
    But most of all....how will you fit in the Wiggle car...will Dorothy tie you to the bonnet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had fun singing.

    I think that's the main purpose of young children...they give us an excuse to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aawww - what a cute Granma you had. She must have been fun.

    Gentle Allouette is a repetitive song (France pre 18thC) about ripping feathers out of skylarks before cooking them.

    Lotsa kiddie rhymes had their origin in hideous violence.

    Of course our beloved Playschool songs did not, and there was nothing violent about Jack oHagan who wrote The Road To Gundagai, Our Don Bradman, and

    back back back to Yarrawonga,
    in Yarrawonga, I'll linger longer.

    Keep singin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it when my Nan used to sing to us, and then she sand to my boys when we took her out of the awful nursing home she was in. Bless her soul!
    She as taught umpteen songs/dittys/poems by the Sister's of Mercy. She was orphaned and lived there from age 4 until age 16 in West Wylong NSW.
    I wish I could remember them all, I wish I had written them down. Same goes with her wonderful soup recipes... pea and ham was her specialty.
    Little Jo is a lucky girl..who cares if you sound bad... or good... Little Jo will remember it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once upon a time there was a tavern,
    Where we used to sup a pint or two,
    Nowadays its just an empty hovel,
    Since the smoking ban was introduced,
    Those were the days owd mates,
    And they were really great,
    The air was wreathed with fag smoke thick and blue,
    But now the air is clear,
    Of smoke and customers,
    And half the pubs have gone straight down the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony, I have managed to avoid Playschool, so far. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

    Jayne, being a Wiggle looks far too energetic for me.

    Lovely thought Dina.

    Ripping feathers out of skylarks Ann. Charming. Not sure I quite believe all at that website.

    Cazzie, sounds like your gran's experience as an orphan wasn't too bad, for a change.

    Not bad Brian. It is an issue here, but much has been done to accommodate smokers and of course our weather is better when shoved outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:23 pm

    Can you sing to me next time I visit!!! I wanna be mentioned in a song. : ) Vik.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll live to regret that request Vik.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.