Sunday, May 24, 2009

Landfill Problem

I guess Sister is 'greener' than yours truly. A few years ago R cooked a meal for Sister and the Bone Doctor. Maybe the vegetables had been roasted in oil, I can't remember, but I washed the oil out of the dish and down the sink. Quell horreur Brother. All that oil going down the drain. What will that do to the environment!

She was right of course and it is a matter I am now very conscious about, that is oil and fat going down the sink drain and generally try to avoid it happening.

So I have established Sister's superior green credentials, in one area at least.

When Little Jo was born, Sister signed up for a nappy service. That is, she bought and used cloth nappies and a company came and took away the soiled ones and replaced them with clean fresh nappies.

From what I hear on the young mother with baby grapevine, which is precious little really, is that this often is the case, mothers do exactly what Sister did. Sister partly starting using disposables because she was living in three places, Geelong, Murrumbeena and Wangaratta.

But then Sister totally swallowed her caring for the environment pride and switched over to disposable nappies that fill our rubbish tips in huge numbers. This is quite often the case with first time mothers. I understand why. Sister and the Bone Doctor certainly know why. Mother who grated pure soap, soaked nappies in an enamel bucket and then boiled them certainly knows why and is jealous that disposables weren't around in her day.

Tins, bottles, paper and plastics are not going into Australia's land fill much anymore. Disposable nappies are big time. Very overdue, but visible on the horizon is a television/computer/electronics centrally organised recyling scheme.

Next cab off the rank might be the need to address this scourge of disposal of disposal nappies. I can't imagine how, but some brains should work on it.

9 comments:

  1. "All that oil going down the drain. What will that do to the environment!"

    Not a lot. It'll just end up blocking the drain until some plumber turns up and disposes of it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise and rich will be the man (or woman) who invents a baby that doesn't poop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got no idea of the price of nappies these days (I did the cloth and disposable route with all 3 rugrats) but here is an eco disposable nappy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A problem for us in the past Brian, but not here.

    Wouldn't that be marvellous Dina.

    Thanks Jayne. It is a start hey. Did you notice you can follow the company on Twitter. Where will this all end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:52 pm

    Simple solution shove a cork in baby till end of day then hold them over the toilet as you release it.

    Charge an environment tax on diposable nappies to force mums to use cloth ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lateral thinking Anon. I don't think there is any going back to cloth now. Best to make disposables very environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sister signed up for a nappy service. That is, she bought and used cloth nappies and a company came and took away the soiled ones and replaced them with clean fresh nappies.Zackly what we did way back in 1974 with our now 35 y.o. daughter. A hot summer's days on the balcony of our 3rd floor Coburg flat was not where anyone with a remotely sensitive olfactory system would want to be

    ('specially if Mr Nappywash was running a few days late.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fortunately LS, our household enamel bucket had a lid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my twit of a brother in law loudly proclaiming the he and my sister were not having children because they were bad for the environment. All the time he was clutching a can of designer beer...now 3 kids later, and all of them using disposable nappies ALL of the time even though I sent them 2 doz cloth nappies - these were used as mini towels. It makes me sick when I see people carrying these huge towers of nappy packets out of the supermarket. Then I was told by bro in law...that washing the cloth nappies was worse for the environment than disposable nappies(oh really)...I didn't find it hard or gruseome work and only ever used them when we travelled which was very rare..probaly twice...for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.