Sunday, May 17, 2009

Childhood memory #56

I can always rely on fellow bloggers to inspire a post by triggering a memory, Brian to thank this time.

Along with doing this horrible act against the animal world, my ABI brother and myself also committed another crime against nature. We diverted the course of a creek.

I think our tools were only sticks, so hopefully it wasn't permanent change. Beavers have been known to divert waterways, but we don't have beavers here. We were just copying them. Perhaps we killed some fish and platypusses/platypi/platy/pii/platypus/platypoid, ok, I don't know.

I suppose you would call it weaving. We wove a wall of sticks and branches and patched it with mud. Hey, we were water engineers. We built a dam.

The path of the creek was altered and followed a non natural(delete non natural, of course a gold mining water course is non natural) gold mining water course. Hmmm, I guess we weren't the first ones to alter this creek flow.

In both cases, nature would have at some point sent a good flow of water down and our creek diversion would have succumbed to nature. And platypoid would once again do what they do.

May as well get it all my deliberate enviromental damage off my chest now. I was bored watching Father driving the tractor, so I chopped down quite a tall native local fern tree. How pretty was the cut trunk, marvellous patterns and rings. Even my very non conservationist type father thought what I did was bad form. Plenty of trees Dad, they grow again you know.

To my credit though, I did do plenty of blackberry, tussock and thistle destruction, all invasive foreign plants.

10 comments:

  1. The things we do as kids. Mates and I used to use petrol to clear out huge ants' nests when we were about 11. Total disaster just one phoomp away!

    I reckon you would've been breaking even as an environmentalist - pretty good for a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pour petrol down bull-ant nest ...
    throw lit match.

    revenge for all the damn bites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The diverting the creek thing actually sounds really awesome...a great learning experience.

    Yeah, but shame on you for screwing up the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Lad, nowadays I even try to avoid stepping on ants. It was a different time, a different mindset.

    Upon reflection FG, was that a good thing to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun Dina. Were we the butterflies in Brazil that caused an earthquake in Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I can always rely on fellow bloggers to inspire a post by triggering a memory, Brian to thank this time."

    I object. I've never worried a beaver and upset its watercourse in my life...at least, not without its owner's permission.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To my credit though, I did do plenty of blackberry, tussock and thistle destruction, all invasive foreign plants. "
    Me too, used to love it with my Grandma up the bush :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloody blackberries and gorse and thistles and Morning Glory (the plant not the condition) were the bane of my existence for many a long year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Brian, where are you going.

    And slashing bracken fern too Cazzie?

    Morning Glory, haha Jayne. We never had that, maybe too cold and wet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Oh Brian, where are you going."

    Downhill I think...same direction I've always been headed.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.