Thursday, April 09, 2009

Sad for Sister

The usual Wednesday thing, if I can, train to Murrumbeena, meet R from his work and take Little Jo out to a park and give Sister some respite. I had to go early yesterday as she had a doctor's appointment.

When she returned, she told us she had miscarried the morning before, six weeks down the track. We did not know she was pregnant. She had been unwell the previous week, which no doubt did not help. I felt so sad for her but she did not seem overly upset. Mother earlier in the day had told her, quite insensitively I thought, that perhaps she is getting too old. She is 41. Anyway, miscarrying is not going to spoil their camping holiday at Port Campbell over easter.

She said she will keep trying for a while. I hope she succeeds. Little Jo really needs a sister or brother.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that happened : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dina. I can't believe how composed and not upset she was. In fact as she told us, she looked to be blooming, so fresh faced. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,

    I think it's different for every women.

    I don't really think there's a normal or typical response.

    I think it all depends on the situation, the expectations, personal philosophies, etc.

    I had some issues early on with Jack. I was so terrified. I wanted that baby SO much. I think if I had a miscarriage, I would have been devastated...long-term depression. I think even if I had other children later, I still would not get over it.

    Last week I had a pregnancy scare. I do NOT want another baby. I thought to myself if I am pregnant and have a miscarriage, I'll be HAPPY.

    Well, I'd probably be in physical pain. But I'd think of it as saving myself the cost and agony of having a medical abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((hugs))) Sorry to hear that, Andrew, fingers crossed things are more successful for her next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dina. Stuff I can only wonder about and never know.

    Cheers Jayne. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me..babies are so precious in our family.... the los of one is a tragedy...your sister needs hugs big time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MC, after my sister had Little Jo, I can fully appreciate what the loss of a baby or toddler could be. The thought horrifies me.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.