Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Farewell to the Gog

We affectionately call the synagogue opposite us 'the gog'. I recall the kerfuffle when the visiting Israeli PM called in to pray? Choppers, barricades and cops everywhere. Doubt anyone would have known otherwise. You can see some of 'the gog' in my blog photo heading.

We make a joke about it being a Muslim terrorist target, and therefore could be a threat to us nearby. Our friends joke about slipping on some rubber band like things on the footpath outside the gog when they visit us. Once we were watching them arrive from the balcony and the looked up and saw us and did this very animated slipping exhibition.

Of course no doubt it will be a long fought battle at the evil VCAT, but I don't expect anything will be overturned.

I have always wondered how sustainable such a large building was for the Jewish peeps, and it would seem it is not and 'the gog' must go. Now the battle is for what replaces it. Of course the developer wants to breach the 'advised' height limit and I am sure he will, it is always a he.

I am surprised the building doesn't have some sort of heritage protection, but it would seem not. The wreckers are supposed to move in around June.

I kind of like 'the gog' across the road. Demolishing it is really going too far. Quite a few apartments could be fitted within its structure, but developers never seem to like this idea. I suspect they just don't make as much profit.

I guess once it is gone and something shiny goes up, I will adjust.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, but it's so pretty from the view you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a real shame, it will probably be replaced by something straight out of the box and very uninteresting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a marvellous building and a shame it's going. Mind you, that pretty much sums up the entire history of St Kilda Rd. I wonder if the development down the road ("Worth every million") was aware of this? Might cause some dilution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess if you really hate the view, after it's demolished, you can move back to Balaclava or even Maltby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I guess once it is gone and something shiny goes up, I will adjust."

    A big shiny Walmart should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'something shiny', how gay can one queer get?

    And I do know it's April l.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfair disadvantage Daisy. Your computer will be showing March 31.

    Aw, Fenz and Rob. So sorry. I feel guilty, but not so guilty that I can't say, there is a sucker born every minute born every minute. As if they would demolish that.

    Brian, we don't do Walmart here...yet. Nor do we do Primart.

    Very little glistens for me nowadays Jahteh. Indulge me.

    Jayne game my post a mention on her blog. How bitter and suspicious she is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mark. Was that back reading or memory? I am impressed. I shan't move to Maltby until the bypass bypassing the bypass is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrew, I just remember falling for your April Fools Day efforts for the last 2 years. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark, I felt bad last year. Everyone was so nice and sympathetic, but I was very pleased with the Maltby one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh crap. That's two years in a row you've gotten me. Frackin' time difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry girlfriend. Time zones are crap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was and I've saved myself some angsty upset LOL :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Brian, we don't do Walmart here...yet."

    Neither do we...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha Jayne.

    Brian, there is a US company opening here soon, Cosco. Bulk groceries and other stuff, pay for membership, but large quantities cheaply. Not sure how it will go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cosco made metal toilet cisterns (found in old houses)-bad name choice. 'Flush away your finances'
    or OTOH stay flush at Cosco ?

    Excellent April 1st work. Sorry I didn't get here in time to fall for it.
    I got the email about all the old school photos being online,
    ( "just enter your school and year")
    but I was suspicious and with good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And very good cisterns they were too FG.

    They missed me with the school and year email.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe the recession will save it's being torn down..but then the Sultan of Brunei never seems to run out of money

    ReplyDelete
  19. *inserts fingers into eyes

    ReplyDelete
  20. What? It's disappearing? I always thought it a beautiful building... so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear, I better write a separate post.

    ReplyDelete