Friday, March 13, 2009

PT Moan 2/3 Train and tram fwits

Off to Murrumbeena last night to take Little Jo to the park for some play. We still watch her closely on the equipment but she is much more steady now.

So it was the usual for me, tram to the city and then train to Murrumbeena to meet R at Sister's place.

I was on Princes Bridge near the door and ready to alight when a fellow passenger asked me how to stop the tram. Just press this button and showed her. The tram will stop at the next stop. Ah, she said. I have missed three stops now. I wanted to go to The Gallery. Yeah, right, she had missed one stop only. Usual exaggeration. The tram had a fullish load, without being crowded. She then said, why can't the driver see me standing near the door? Doesn't he watch what is happening in the tram? I replied, there are other people near the doors. How would he know that you wanted to get off? Besides, I feel happier that he is watching where he is going, rather than looking around inside the tram. I would have to guess that she was a first time tram user and not a terribly bright one at that. Funny, the world over you have to press a button or pull a cord to indicate to the driver of a bus or tram that you want to get off at the next stop. Only in Melbourne.

Onto the train, an earlier one than I normally catch, hoping it wouldn't be so crowded. It was still crowded by at least there was space to move to the exit door. Along the way a young couple boarded the train. He carried a computer tower, which he plonked in the doorway. They both sat on the floor opposite the door they had boarded and proceeded to take afternoon tea. That is a snack and a drink. At the next station the opposite doors they sat in opened for people to get in and out. Did they move? No. Picnicked on as people stepped around and over them. The train was getting busier and they were getting crowded in.

By Caulfield I was planning to 'accidentally' kick one of them as I was leaving the train but the situation was saved by someone getting in with a bicycle and they were compelled to stand to make room. I just do not understand why people so rebel against society.

8 comments:

  1. ha ha i'd have gone the accidental kick too!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They rebekl because they do not give a brass razoo about others. Zero tolerance must be adopted, that or giving them a kick and saying "oopsa-daisy" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. A swift foot up the rear end never hurt anyone except their pride ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased we are all in agreement. They are just not very bright or thoughtless. I don't think they have bad intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to ask for help with bus operations, never having been on one. Public transport is sorely lacking in small-towns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I'd "accidentally trip" over them on the way out too.

    I for one wouldn't eat off the floor of a train, but each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I expect at least one "Didn't you see me standing at the door?" dose per trip and I've learnt to be quite the ruthless bastard when it comes to tram etiquette. There are usually 2 cords the length of the tram, buttons around the place and the good old "next stop please driver". If they have the energy to come up and abuse a complete stranger for not being able to read their mind, they can damn well make use of the facilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would see a lot of similar nonsense Rob. They are all cases of it being all about me, which is not the way public transport works.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.