Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another odd lamp

There are still quite a few of these lamps left in Collins Street. I am assuming they are left and not new. The shade was so filthy, I could not tell if they were gas or not, but as it was the middle of day, I guess so. The light they give off is very insufficient for modern times but I am pleased they are still there.

While some of Collins Street is crap, there are still many nice buildings in the streetscape. For those not in Melbourne, we have a term, Collins Street Cocky. It means a rich farmer. Collins Street is, or was, a street with many private doctor's surgeries.

5 comments:

  1. We used to have a gas lamp like that opposite our house many years ago. One night during a violent storm it was struck by lightning. There was a loud explosion and thirty foot flames shot into the air. We had a brightly lit street that night I can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!
    Probably is original as no fake lamp-post would dare besmirch Collins Street with its presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it is original,it is lovely.

    I noticed a lamp near the corner of Collins and Swanston St(opp the tram stop) the other day. Is this the same one? I think (from memory) it was a different style, very tall and possibly fake/old. Not sure, I was jumping on a tram and just got a quick look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Brian. How exciting. Like they burn off gases at one of our nearby gas fired power stations.

    I think it is Jayne.

    I took a photo of that one with the phone LiD, but never got around to publishing it. I was near this one further down near Elizabeth Street with my camera and so took this better one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew,

    I live in the middle of nowhere. We have to take whatever excitement we can...which for many of the locals usually involves sheep.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.