Saturday, February 21, 2009

Substation

This simple, functional and attractive building I believe is an electricity substation in New Street, Brighton. It is surrounded by a carpark which makes it rather stand out. The question that arises to me, was it purpose built?

From memory, there are only the two doors that are visible and none other. The very tall one seems to be an odd shape for moving electrical equipment through. I would date it about 1920, which probably is about the time electricity was being spread around the land.

No evidence of any wires going to it or where they might have connected before power was put underground. What are the strange almost ground level openings? Ventilation? They appear to be boarded up.

Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. "This simple, functional and attractive building..."

    I was with you all the way up to the word 'attractive' there Andrew. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the lower boarded-up holes would have been ventilation. Old rules don't change for new fandangled stuff like electricity - the building still needed a good airing.
    Make it's birth a bit earlier, those were the type, colour and shape bricks being used to build Oakleigh (and MATHS stations) from circa 1877.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, yes, it's a handsome building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you saw what sort of building they now build for such purposes Brian, you would quite approve of this one.

    Very different to the one I photographed Ann, but also nice. I run a mile when I see the words interpersonal and textual, but I did take a look.

    Gee Jayne, I would have nearly erred in the other direction of years. The decorative cement work at the top looks very Californian bungalow to me. One of us better check when Brighton got the electric. You will be busy with brekkie cereals tomorrow, so I will do it.

    ReplyDelete