Sunday, January 18, 2009

What's in a name?

Rather a lot, it would seem, and I feel foolish.

"How is your nephew in Glasgow going?" I was asked by a friend.

"Fine. He has just put some photos up on his Facebook site of Loch Lomond after his visit there. He is living in the druggie area of Paisley"

R chipped in, "What?"

"Photos of Loch LoMOND".

"Idiot".

Now I may well have in the past gone for a bit of Roamin' in the Gloamin', but I never connected that Loch LoMOND was Loch LOman.

If the bloody Scots, yes you Jackie, would pronounce the D, I might have worked it out.

5 comments:

  1. I've always pronounced the 'D'. Then again I'm a sassanach. Singing: "On tha bonnhi bonnhi barnks off Lach Lohmon..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, yes I'll have to be dropping the d in all future verbal references too. Thanks for the tip. I hate getting on the wrong side of any Celt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard the D in the name Brian.

    Very wise Lad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of when I was travelling to England to visit my cousin (at the tender age of 14), and a nice old English lady befriended me on the plane: "Where are you staying in England Dear Girl"? She asked. "BERK-shire" I replied. (scoff scoff)"Dear Girl, that would be BARK-sheer"..
    Also, I didn't know about the Scottish place, all I know is that my ex used to call the Lomond Hotel in East Brunswick the "La Monde"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think, only think, I would have pronounced Berkshire correctly. But at the age of 14, perhaps not.

    So is the Brunny hotel pronounced Loman Hotel?

    ReplyDelete

Democracy is all very well, but why give it to the people - Audrey Forbes-Hamilton.