Sunday, January 11, 2009

My bedroom wall adorned


In my profile pic, you can kind of see something on the wall behind me. It was a very colourful picture of parrots. It did not fit in with decor of my room really, and I think it was what was left over after most pictures found their place when we moved into the highrise.

I saw this replacement at the market at Docklands, ummed and ahhed about but when I returned a week later to buy it, the stall was not there. I returned two weeks later and the stall was not there. I took it as an omen that I wasn't meant to have it gracing my bedroom wall.

Then last week at the St Kilda Night Market, I spied her and her stall. I consulted with R, our friend from Japan and the ambo driver. They seemed to like it, so I bought it for $40. Big spender hey.

I think it is fired enamel on tin. The tin is very thin. I have decided it needs a little friend to the right to balance it in the room, so at some point, it will be back to the market. If you think it looks balanced, and it kind of does in the photo, you are not seeing the whole room in context. It really does need something else.

I did clean off any suspicious marks on the wall before hanging it.

You can damn it with faint praise if you wish, but matters not. I like my gecko crawling up the wall. Hope it is secure. If it falls, it may well slice my neck open while I am sleeping.

18 comments:

  1. It sure is not what I had first expected, but I love it Andrew! Yes, it does need a friend to the right of it, unless you plan on moving the bed to the left to centre it...that may not be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, much better than the posey of male can-can dancers I envisaged plastered in puce tulle :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's very cool, i love lizards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think iit looks great and your bedwear continues the eastern theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the colour scheme in your bedroom...it reminds me of a certain purple-filled episode of Dr. Who.

    The lizard itself does the job nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gecko is great, my main concern is the lack of symetry in your room - with or without the gecko! Does it not disturb you to have the bed "slightly left of centre"?? And only one bedside table?? Sorry, this sort of situation does seem to frazzle me a little...(my friends think i'm anally retentive when it comes to furniture arranging). It's like Cazzie said, if the bed can't be moved, then perhaps you could either move Mr G, or find him a friend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For sure Mr G needs a friend Cazzie. Overall the room is balanced. Mr G....I like it.

    Thanks Fenz and hi. I too like lizards.

    Yep Victor. All of us who have been to Asian countries know about the geckos on the walls of your room.

    The wall is better than an all white room,which it was Reuben. It is due for a paint makeover this year.

    Well Deb, you can't see the whole room. I am very much one for symmetry and I think, apart from the gecko placement, it is balanced. There were two bedside cupboards but one was sold because it would not fit into our last house. And I am the only who sleeps there, so I don't need two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Jayne. In the past I might have had a tasteful male or two on my wall........until they ripped the restraints out of the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make it a nice olive green colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my blog colours Reuben?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...but lighter. Or have burnt orange walls. Make sure the ceiling is a different, but complementary colour.

    Now go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you should buy another two of those lizards, diminishing in size, and arrange them in a line like Hilda Ogden's flying duck ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so much want to fit into my comment something along the lines of not giving a flying duck, but it is beyond me. Suffice to say, I think it is a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you live without two bedside tables? Not to mention that pissy little light.

    I love the Gecko and he does need a friend. Your room is very minimalist, she says, thinking of her bedroom drowning in jewellery, shoes and hats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jayne, where can I buy a print of those dancers? You know the cancan was scandalous because the dancers didn't wear knickers, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love geckos. We have a collection of them around here - ceramic, tin, mosaic, and a cool one made of recycled copper I found in the Perth Zoo. Not to mention real ones! Thanks for the idea, y ou've actually given me blog post fodder - a gecko post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jahteh, the lamp is very bright halogen and tall and I can adjust it to focus on my book and not in my eyes. Sister would call it sterile. I don't care.

    Send me some over then Rhubarb, well post some pics at least.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:59 pm

    'ullo, greetings from snowy northern Japan! The gecko looks great; I love it! Vik.

    ReplyDelete