Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gone for a burqa

This will be controversial I suppose.

There is talk of banning people from wearing burqas in shops and other places that rely on CCTV for security. Fair call. Ban hoods too. Hoodie wearers are far more likely to cause problems than burqa wearers, but then a burqa could be a very good cover. Who knows what might behind the mask.

Last Monday we had coffee with the Brighton Antique dealer at her abode, and she invited us for dinner at the Marine Hotel in Brighton on Saturday night. We attended and had a very nice meal. We went back to her abode for coffee and I goaded BAD into expressing her opinion, which I already knew, in front of others.

BAD said that she has to stop herself from ripping burqas off Moslem women who wear them, and then burning them.

I don't like women covering their faces because I think the human race depends on facial expression for communication. Ok Brian, blind people have to use some other senses.

BAD was somewhat of a women's libber in the seventies and eighties. She sees the wearing of the burqa as subjucation of women to men.

I have heard arguments from Moslem women for the wearing of the burqa, including how empowering it is, but I remain unconvinced.

So, I think in Australia, BURQAS SHOULD BE BANNED.

Wear all the silly head gear, clothes, hats, wraps, scarves you want, but don't hide your face from me. Reminds me of children. Cover their faces with their hands and no one will see them.

Ok, the above is what you would expect from me, but to personalise matters racial a bit, actually, it was not about race but clothing, Little Jo got very upset when she went for injections last week. She had contact with a very dark skinned person, and she became as frightened as she did when confronted by Santa Clause.

Being a dutiful type Uncle, I better take Little Jo for an outing to Footscray or some such place. I am firmly of the old world. She will have to live in the new world.

14 comments:

  1. I disagree. Religious freedom in a secular state guarantees the right for people to do what they want to do - so long as it doesn't harm others. You might not like their garb (I don't), but they have every right to wear it in the same way you have every right to wear sunglasses.
    Banning things has never solved anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who knows what might lurk behind the mask."

    Or possibly even the camera, Andrew? Ahem...mentioning no names, of course.

    Actually, considering some of the fugs you get round our way, not only do I think they should make the wearing of face-covers compulsory, but they should extend it to the blokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once, I knocked on the closed door to a patient's room. Upon entry the patient's mother said she closed the door so she could take of her burqa. With me there, it was ok, but once her husband came, the full burqa was donned.
    She was lovely looking with long healthy hair. It is sad they wear it, but I guess it is their choice... to some extent.
    One time, I stopped for feul at an Independant Feul Shop, had to, the feul indicator light had alerted me, and I thought I might've made it to Shell feul in Flemington. Anyway, It was after work, 10pm at night. I got this announcement, "Come in and pre-pay if you want feul". I had no choice. The person serving me said it had to be done, drive offs were frequent, but, even more frequent were the kids wearing hoodies running into the shop and running out with food... five finger discount. I don't see what it had to do with feul..but I agree with you, hoods off, just like hats off when in doors.
    Little Jo will be ok. Once she goes to play group and kinder then school she will have met more than 20 different cultures for sure. Why, when I walk into school with my seemingly Aryan looking children, there are any number of children with differet skin colours, and parents speaking foreign tongue to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hot Andrew - CopperWitch and me here ... taking tea on the patio in the shade, enjoying lorikeets in the trees.
    Our votes on this go one each way.
    I think all immigrants MUST accept our way of life in total, not just our safety and our social services; Coppy thinks the headscarf is OK but also thinks they don't get any Vitamin D being covered all the time.
    Wish you could have been with us at ther Bendigo Frock-Blog yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. History tells me you are right about banning Reuben.

    Do as I say Brian, not as I do.

    Always a good slant Cazzie, thanks. You are quite right about Little Jo mixing it once older.

    Must be early in the morning to be taking tea Ann. Scarf doesn't really worry me. I did just see the photies of your outing. Looks to be fun. I see you conned that hippy bloke into going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Care to give me a reason for banning them then Andrew? Or are you in favour of a knee-jerk response that only the National Party would think up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apart from me not liking them and thinking they look scary and I am not sure why women wear them and not men, as I said in the post, facial expression is a very important part of communication between humans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, it makes be uncomfortable to talk to someone wearing full burqas, for the same reason it can be mildly disconcerting with someone wearing sunglasses: facial expressions are important part of communication. That said, I don't think burqas should be banned across the board.
    However, if people have to remove helmets or other head coverings when entering a bank or convenience store, i don't see why burqas or niqāb should be excepted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew, you're imposing your values on someone else's lifestyle. I don't understand it either. I don't understand golf as another example. But they have every right to wear it and to take it away from them is a violation of liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't like 'em either and they'll be bandied legged like they left their horse at the door from ricketts :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reuben, just don't expect me to accept them as members of my society or country. I may be really really wrong about it but I am too old and jaded to care. I don't like it, full stop.

    Altissima, R tells me often to take off my sunglasses, but then people see my baggy old eyes. Btw, R found a carwash place in Bay Street.

    Yep Jayne, they are quite tight at the bottom when they are in full costume. Hard to take confident steps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's become a religion then for you; let's not be concerned with all this namby-pamby reasoning or evidence...I'd much rather remain myopic and prejudiced.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dislike all extreme religions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like Islam either, Andrew. I'm a heavy atheist and I consider most - if not all - religions to be backward etc. But this is a case of civil liberties. Personal prejudices aside, one person should never have the right to dictate what someone else should wear. What does it matter to you?

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.