Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Australia

Yep, that is where I am but I am referring to the movie. I was a little doubtful because of its length, but the time passed quickly enough. The Classic in Elsternwick is always a nice place to see a movie. Noted that it now seems to be owned by Readings, of bookshop fame. Must investigate this further.

Yes, there are heaps of things you could pick it up on, but it was a good story well presented. Even Nicole's acting I thought was ok. The shining star was the young Aboriginal boy, Brandon Walters, and of course you would guess that it did not care for Hugh Jackman taking his shirt off. Not usually my type, but he looked great. David Wenham of Seachange fame was also an excellent baddie.

It was also somewhat less than the three hours that I thought it ran for.

It is not an historical narrative, just a tale told well and I recommend it.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrew, I was thinking of catching it at the flicks on a hot day...which it looks like we are going to have many more of now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might see it...but only if my friend Elise (who thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread) pesters me for it. You wield less voting power here, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea Cazzie. Good place on a hot day.....until you come out.

    Well Reuben, your film making skills are probably superior, so don't be too critical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But my writing is only so-so as many people I've asked to critique me can testify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm torn. I can't stand Nicole, however Hugh with his shirt off could trump that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall wait for it to appear on DVD and allow The Spouse to hire it if only to chuck popcorn at the tv and roll jaffas across the wooden floorboards like the film critic lout I crave to be :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be waiting for the DVD too. I just can't get enthused by it. I have heard the cinematography was stunning. Should be at the price the gov chucked at it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle went to see it last week and said she thoroughly enjoyed it. That must be first for her 'cos she usually hates everything with the exception of Poirot and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:40 pm

    Isn't it playing on Nicole's forehead yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, aside from Hugh with his shirt off, there is a wonderful closeup of his face about 2/3 through.

    It is one that perhaps to be seen on the big screen Jayne.

    LiD, when you see the movie, you can see where the money went.

    But you didn't go Brian. You did not want an insight into the Australian psyche?

    The tightest film screen you will ever see Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew,

    She went o see it with her sister. I didn't get invited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aside from a single, haunting scene in "Birth", Nic to me is like finding out that smell is coming from your shoe. I would see it for the WW2 aspect of it and I'm sure some of the scenery is pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brian, perhaps because you would verbally correct historical inaccuracies while the movie was showing.

    WW2 stuff is good Rob, if a bit inaccurate and the scenery of course too.

    ReplyDelete