Saturday, December 27, 2008

UK Windfarm

Back when we were holidaying in the UK, we driving along the M6 when in the distance, initially partly obscured by hills, a solitary wind farm tower appeared. Against the bare hills, it looked quite surreal and very beautiful. As we drove closer, more appeared, but that single one against the hills and sky was memorable.

Daisy asked if I had taken a photo, and I had not. I did some searching at the time, but given I don't even know exactly where we were, I could not find one. Now that Google Maps has added photos, I followed the M6 northward and sure enough, there is a photo and I found the location.

Google Images brought up many photos but I cannot find a photo taken from the distance and angle we saw the windfarm. This quite nice one is by Keith Bellis is taken from a minor road near the M6. It is not really how we saw it but quite a nice photo all the same. Click the pic for a better look. The location is Lambrigg in Cumbria.

11 comments:

  1. I saw that stretch of road in a Dr Who fanfilm; check out the link on my blog role.

    We need 'em here, them windfarms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect they're the ones I can see across the bay from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly what it's going to look like beside my cousin's farm in Beaufort, Victoria.
    Same type of windy road coming out of the town, a few hills and then a bunch of whirly gigs stuck in the ground :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be too far wouldn't it Brian?

    Whirly Gigs, haha Jayne.

    I will get back to you Reuben.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take your word for it Reuben. There doesn't seem to be a search facility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.dwffdb.bravehost.com/films/projectionroom/masterplan.htm

    I think is the episode...though I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure, Andrew. We can ceratinly see Cumbria (and several windfarms) from our side of the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After a quick check Brian, there are about twenty wind farms in Cumbria alone and ten proposed. I guess because it is close to the prevailing winds coming in from the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At about 16 minutes Reuben. Could well be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you like it Daisy.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.