Monday, December 08, 2008

Pants has a dishwashing machine

Pants has her head stuck in a book and has refused to acknowledge her garden. Good for her. Survival of the fittest. She has acquired a dishwasher though in downtown Larrikin's End, and so that gives me an opportunity to republish my dishwashing tips that I wrote back in 2005 I think, for a fellow blog mate. I am not keen to drink from hand washed glasses. Here 'tis back from the past.

Some of you won't have ever had one and maybe you will have one soon. Maybe you have one now and have problems with it. I have had six different ones over twenty odd years and have used them pretty well daily, so I feel well qualified to offer some advice.

I can't find bullet points so I will just list as individual points as best I can.

Your dishwasher is not a miracle machine. If you have burnt something onto a pot, your d/w will not clean it.

Cheap detergent and rinse aid is a waste of your money. They don't give good results. If you remember the 'F' word, you won't go wrong. You really do get what you pay for. We have experimented with others.

Some things need rinsing off before they go in the dishwasher. Starch and cereal. Rinse off the pot that you have cooked and mashed potato in and whatever you cooked rice in. Rinse off your cereal bowl.

Orange juice can be troublesome. Rinse those bits of fruit matter off.

Cooked on substances need to be scrubbed off first, but if something is very greasy, don't worry, shove it in.

Otherwise, dirty plates, cups, glasses, vases, ceramic products, glass products, range hood metal parts, toothbrush holder, dog bowls and all cutlery and cooking tools..........if it is glass or ceramic and it will fit in, stick it in. If it is not dishwasher proof, get rid of it. If it is metal or plastic, think about it first. Plastic exhaust fan covers, no, no no.

When loading it, remember the direction from where the water sprays, that is the centre out, so at the back, stuff needs to face to the front and at the front, stuff needs to face towards the back.
Spooning is something you may do in bed with your partner, but it does not work in a dishwasher. Two spoons resting against each other facing the same way will not come clean.

Clean your filters often and dishwashers do get surprisingly dirty around the seals, so clean them too.

Your dishwasher will present your crockery and and glassware far better than you do by hand. Embrace it and love it.

14 comments:

  1. This post looks strangely familiar :-) Still useful though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:22 am

    So you gotta wash everything before you put them in the dishwasher then Andrew? Whats the point in having one then?

    I have one at home but never use it. I like the old fashioned method of washing , rinsing and drying by hand.

    Saves on water too by doing it by hand and your dishes etc aren't coated in caustic soda residue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment ML. Hope your house to come has one.

    Hard to believe over three years ago now Daniel.

    Anon, you still have to rinse muck off plates if handwashing. I would certainly use less water by using a dishwasher than if I did them by hand. Over thirty years of having various ones, I can't say I have ever tasted caustic. The only time I recall residue was when the dishwasher was badly stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Hot Andrew.
    here's one for you in return:

    if your garbage disposal gets a bit rank, just put a lemon through the choppers to make it smell nice.
    Love to all your readers from this blogger
    (in a library at Sebastopol) suffering Withdrawal ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WANT A DISHWASHER! (I'd even settle for a human one who isn't me, but I don't have that either.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never know where you might pop up Ann.

    Daisy, I guess the biggest problem for you would be where to fit it? Better get some tools out and start sawing.

    Very useful LS. Filed for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alternatively, eat out of the plastic microwave bowls and steal the plastic knives and forks from Southland. Don't forget to nick the serviettes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all for nicking serviettes Jahehe, but a gay man eating with plastic cutlery? Really!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Depends who you're eating off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Works for me Jahteh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sense a great deal of personal experience talking here.

    The door catch on ours broke 10 years ago and we never fixed it. This makes me think I should probably look into it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So it doesn't work then Ben? It is not unusual for people to have dishwashers and never use them.

    ReplyDelete