Friday, December 05, 2008

iiNet

iiNet is a smallish and quite innovative company, I am led to believe. This story of outrageousness should have been in the news section of the newspaper, rather than tucked away in business.

iiNet has taken on the task of testing the government's ridiculous internet filter, to prove that it won't work well and will slow the internet. Big tech companies like Telstra and Optus won't take the task on.

Now you naughty people downloading movies and tv shows illegally, have caused a specifically set up organisation called Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft to take you on. Who is your isp? Telstra? Optus? Netspace? A big one? You can sleep soundly. This organisation is taking on the smaller iiNet, alleging that they are not taking any action to enforce their own policies about illegal downloads.

No messing about with the barristers that Telstra and Singtel have at their fingertips. Take on a minnow.

2 comments:

  1. A few years back I started to receive monthly invoices from iiNet for an email service in my name. I didn't know who they were and their invoices gave only a website for contact, no addresses and no phone numbers.

    I concluded the invoices were a scam and that iiNet didn't exist. I tore up their invoices. The invoices continued to arrive for a few months more and then stopped. I never heard from them again.

    A few months later someone told me that iiNet was a genuine company. I was amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I wrote the post Victor but before I published it, I learnt that iiNet took over Ozemail, the isp that added a lot of wealth to Malcolm Turnbull.

    ReplyDelete