Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trash or Treasure

When we at the Docklands Market a week or so ago, we came across this stall selling the usual bits and pieces. I have to go back this Sunday as I have decided to buy something for my bedroom to replace something I have never been keen on. Said object can be seen in my profile pic. I saw the replacement item at the market but we did not have the car and it was too awkward to carry, plus, I wasn't 100% sure. I am now.

This tin tram looks to be modelled on Melbourne's old W trams. The maker seemed to be having a bob each way with a pole but with kind of a skid on top. I think it was about $40 and from what I have heard, this could be fairly cheap price.
I am not sure if I had one or someone else did and I played with it, but it is a working typewriter for kids. It was very slow to type with as you had to turn the dial to what character you wanted then press the lever to move the golf ball thingy to make an inked print. Fun for kids though.

10 comments:

  1. oh come on... I can't see anything in your profile pic well enough. 'Fess up - whatcha going back for?

    Love the look of that typewriter, your description makes me think of a dymo writer. And I'm loving that tin tray with the Disney on it... I'd best never go to a market like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pic on the wall behind me Raelene. Yep, same sort of thing as a Dymo. But no future skill developed for typewriting really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me say that again. It was not useful in developing future typewriting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they are nothing alike, but can't you still buy the model trams? I remember seeing them in the Eureka Tower gift shop. I may be mistaken though. Is that one die-cast, pressed tin or something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typewriters: now that should be the new technology. Part of my brain's luddite, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tin Kezza. Very collectable.

    Never keen on manual ones Reuben, but electric ones were pretty good. Word processors were brill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. General rule of thumb with any tin toy is that they're collectable.
    Didn't know there was a market at Docklands, I must mosey on out there and have a gander!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very small Jayne. As in the post at the time, make sure it is a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I had one of those typewriters! That's really taken me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were so happy with so little Jackie.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.