Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Diwali

Diwali time again. Actually, the day was yesterday, the 28th. We celebrated last Saturday night with a a few Indian and non Indian friends. Normally there are ten thousand candles burning for Diwali at our friend's house, but this year he decided on a private lighting up on the actual day. It was a warm night, so we were relieved.

Must be time again for a chuckle at some Indian expressions.

I have mentioned in the past about how at my workplace when a relative of an Indian workmate dies, a notice is put up on the public notice board, such as 'Our sympathy to Denzel who has lost his mother'. As I said, I have mentioned it before and I can't say much more than Denzel is known to be paticularly careless.

'Where is D?' we asked of our Indian friend once. 'He is around the backside', was the reply. He meant in the back garden. We couldn't help but snort in amusement.

A very distant relative back in Fiji of our Indian friend received a 'bump' from a motor car. Expecting details of a bruised leg, I was surprised that a mere bump was fatal.

Another workmate one. I asked him if he was working the next day and he told he wasn't and was going home to have a peg or two. For some reason I know what a peg is, but no one else I have asked does. Put your hand up if you know.

And the last from a while ago. We were in D's car with his Indian boyfriend, with R and myself in the back seat. A car cut in front of D, and Indian boyfriend yelled out, 'Horn him D', meaning to sound the horn. We just fell completely apart, and it was just as funy when we told some other friends. It has now slipped into our lingo.

12 comments:

  1. Another Indian phrase I like is 'Please do the needful'. In a previous, service industry job, I frequently received emails along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never experienced any of this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god I love bad translations, it happens to my lecturers all the time, but moreso in their pronounciation. I have one Indian lecturer who proncounces "only" as "one-ly', and "analysis" as "anal-isis".

    What I like better is that clearly the South East Asians were told to say "no worries" a lot in Australia, and they overdo it, and most times it doesn't even make sense. "Hey how's it going?" "Yeah no worries!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to borrow several of those, especially when I "horn" the cricket club :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just hoping that a 'peg' doesn't mean a 'w*nk'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accents at work is pretty much the only reason I keep going back. That and the vague yet constant hope that Hugo Weaving gets on board again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That one is really over the top MD.

    Mix with some Indian students and you will Reuben.

    TDW, yeah, sometimes they try too hard. Mate, said by a young Indian man with a heavy accent, grates on me.

    Lol Jayne.

    No Brian, peg does not mean a wink.

    Even the famous catch trams hey Rob.

    Andy, you are a smartarse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indian English is great. I've got to remember the horn one, that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When nouns are changed to verbs in normal English Ben, I normally get peeved, but in this case, it was amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Diwali to you too.

    It's good fun having a giggle at some of the things people say, in a nice way of course.

    I'm gonna use the horn one too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh Jo, we will have everyone horning everyone else.

    ReplyDelete