Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Bogan Moths are Back

Ex Premier Kennett would probably call them bogan moths, but we all know them as bogong moths. They seem to like high rise living very much and our apartment especially.

Bogong moths are so named because they like to spend the summer in cool areas like the Bogong High Plains. There they cluster in huge numbers and have so much body fat, they don't need to eat for months. All this fat made them damn fine eating for our indigenous peoples and they would have feasts of roasted moths.

They navigational skills are not well suited to the modern age and are often off course after being attracted by bright lights or sometimes blown by wind.

On some warm summer evenings, you can see gulls circling the well lit spire of Melbourne's Arts Centre. They are not just taking exercise but feasting on bogong moths attracted to the light.

In the seventies, they caused lift failure in a new and brightly lit building in Canberra and the new Parliament House in Canberra had to have its lighting reduced and air intakes modified after moths thought it was a fine place to lodge.

Even Sydney's Olympics weren't immune. Who could forget the opening ceremony when a moth landed on an opera singer as she was performing. Oh, you have forgotten.

As I wrote, they like the highrise and come in the open door or when a window is open at night. R hates them around. I only hate them when they fly into my face or alarm me when say I am folding towels after they have dried on the clothes hoist and one flies out. R takes murderous revenge, whereas a good Buddhist like myself, shoos them out the door or grabs them in cupped hands to chuck them outside.

It does amuse me though when birds fly up to our windows to grab a moth that is resting in shady place during the day.

I suppose they are a pest but a native one at least, and so are locusts and it would seem they will be in plague proportions this year, although they tend not to get this far south.

Pic courtesy University of Sydney

10 comments:

  1. "There they cluster in huge numbers and have so much body fat, they don't need to eat for months..."

    Sounds like the tourists of Fleetwood beach, although in their case 'don't need to' doesn't necessarily equate with 'don't actually'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the VCE student perspective, these Bogong moths have a certain genocide-inspiring charm to them. Never before have I resorted to using Heinemann Maths Methods for moth graveyards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! Not the Heinemann!

    (ten minutes of flashbacks)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooo Pretty! Shiny! Moths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain, Rob. It's like having an a corkscrew in your ear, it's that painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember watching the gulls circling the spire! Now I know why. I thought they just wanted to be in the limelight............

    Bogong Moths come en masse to our place occasionally, in the thousands, banging on the windows and dying everywhere. I might pop a couple in the frypan next time they come by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't recall that we had bogong moths in Sydney last summer; maybe because it proved to be our coolest in half a century.

    On the other hand, maybe my memory is faulty.

    Those moths can be a real nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Push them back out to sea Brian.

    Reuben and Rob, after my time.

    Jayne, would Grandma Mehitabel have a recipe?

    Lol Bliss. Let me know how they taste.

    They seem early to me this year Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I awoke at 5.30 this morning (eek!) there was one thumping around my room. Evidently your post had made an impact on me as my first thought was 'bogan moth!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. MD, you left your window open for a potential rapist to easily enter and all you got was a moth.

    ReplyDelete