Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Write Word

Not a greatly relevant subject heading, but it is about words.

PM Kevin Rudd's wife's name is Therese Rein. She did not take the name of Rudd when she married Kevie. Rudd is a bit of a harsh sounding work, Rein is much softer. I would have done the same.....not that I would marry Kevie.

The media always refers to her as Therese Rein. Why do they always mention her last name? Has a protocol for such situations been developed? Why can't she be Kevin Rudd's wife Therese? Conversely, he should be known as Therese Rein's husband Kevin.

I am not sure that I like this protocol.

But here is one expression I hate almost as much as my favourite dreaded word (I am so passionate about it, it has slipped my mind). It is 'stepping up to the plate'. We are a nation of lovers of the most boring game ever invented, cricket. We should 'step up to the crease', not to the baseball plate. We could even use an Australian football word, stepping up to the mark.

To link up another half written post, and it is relevant, here are the harsh sounding words a judge used before postponing sentencing to a later date. I have heard these words too many times, and I know the guy, who without provocation beat a lass to pulp on a dance floor (found guilty), will receive a very lenient sentence, probably a community service order.

"(I will be) sending a clear message to those who want to indulge in alcohol and violence in this area that the community, through the courts, won't be tolerate it."

Yeah, right bud. Heard it all before. Ten years in the slammer might make an example of him to others.

10 comments:

  1. He'll be lucky to even get a fine, then will successfully sue the justice system for false imprisonment over some piddly technicality and claim compo.
    He can "step up to the plate" - or in his case, the pig trough, and get what he deserves, a baseball bat called Milo.
    Coz it's marvellous what a difference Milo makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We should 'step up to the crease', not to the baseball plate."

    It England's case that would just imply imminent doom and therefore alter the meaning entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the plate he should be stepping up to should be one full of whoop-ass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They should enact similar legislation against 'ugh boots'. These furry obscenities are nothing short of dangerous at best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlings I got a feeling he'll do time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee.
    Wow.
    He got a minimum of 6 months.
    Yeah, that'll send a clear message.
    That the judges are out of touch and need to wake up to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well goodness me I hadn't heard the sentence but I think we all knew he cop jail for this one.
    I blame the booze, tits bum and bicep culure, plus dirty maggot mental wards: drug emporiums, called 'night clubs'.

    Seven years without parole would be a proper sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To combine several sentiments, perhaps our bashful friend could "Step up to the can"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, and I meant culture, not culure (pardon, but it's hard to type when you're reaching for your gun).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Non parole six months, less good behaviour etc etc. He will be out in a month Jayne.

    C'mon Brian. You have the burnt bails at the moment...I think.

    Whoop-ass Daisy? I am frightened to ask.

    Yeah, seven years sounds about right to me Robert.

    In more blokey parlance Rob, step up to the trough?

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.