Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Maniac Driver

It doesn't happen so often now, but today was just one of those days where I came across two maniac drivers. Once was when I was coming home from work for lunch and the other when returning to work. Both were so similar, it was uncanny.

Both drivers came up behind me very fast, swung hard to the left lane and around me and then squeezed in front of me and then shot across three lanes and continued on in a similar vein, forcing a gap where they could to get ahead.

The only difference was one was very unsuccessful as he kept getting stopped by the same traffic lights I was stopping at. The other did better, and sadly I cannot report that I found him pulled over by the cops up ahead.

If ever the State Government could so something to improve its image, getting cops out on the street and visible would be one major coup.

In a residential street in England, I saw two cops walking side by side along a residential street, patrolling presumably. Has anyone seen this in an Australian street? I am out and about a lot, and I so rarely see cops walking along a street.

Nothing deters fast and overtly aggressive driving more than seeing police cars on the road. I would assume the same goes for police on the street.

Inner city driving has now almost become a free for all. People think nothing of disrupting the traffic flow to make a 'U' turn, that they clearly don't have time or space to do without stopping other traffic. Obeying road laws is very optional.

We may be able to cope with the existing level of street crime and wilful bad and just plain stupid driving, but where are we going if we continue with this increasingly lawless society?

8 comments:

  1. "Both drivers came up behind me very fast, swung hard to the left lane and around me and then squeezed in front of me and then shot across three lanes and continued on in a similar vein, forcing a gap where they could to get ahead."

    Serves you right for walking down the middle of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.
    Apparently Brumby spends the least amount of $, out of all the states and territories, on police.
    No one wants the desal plant or the north-south pipeline but we're getting them shoved down our throats because the unelected dipstick "knows" that that these will be oh-so much better than increased police, rail link to the airport and stage 4 water restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a slightly corrupt, underfunded, outnumbered and understandably irate police force.

    Time for Brumby to follow Iemma's lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right about the police presence. Mind you, the current situation makes it all the more entertaining when an unmarked car appears out of nowhere. Most of you probably hear my cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may as well have been Brian.

    I want the de-sal plant Jayne...well I want reliable water supply and recycling is what I would like to see.

    Everyone knows it Reuben. No leader will admit it.

    It is one of life's little pleasures Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er yes I have seen police patrolling the streets, in Perth. The presence of police in the streets, on foot bikes and horses was amazing. Maybe not residential streets, but they were much more visible than here in Melbourne. The transit police also seem to do a fine job in Perth too, they seemed to be at every station at night time. And at major stations during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Ben. I don't recall ever seeing any in Sydney. You?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, not in Sydney. When in Sydney (and other cities) I always initially mistake taxis for police cars for some strange reason. Probably because they are white there and not yellow like here.

    ReplyDelete