It gives me no joy to write this. Some time ago I wrote to City of Melbourne and Victoria Police over the deplorable state of Swanston Street. Not sure if I mentioned in my blog. I received a letter back from one of Catherine Ng's minions of the infuriating variety that leaves you no way to respond. I had argued my case and there was nothing left for me to say. I called in black, they called it white. Of course I mentioned the danger of the tour buses. When they first appeared in Swanston Street, I said to R, someone will die. I did think it would be a pedestrian though.
One can only hope that the death of cyclist today in Swanston Street will move some backsides off chairs and do something.
My plan? Glad you asked.
- Ban tour buses and horses and carts along with their obnoxious drivers.
- Either ban taxis or take control of them. Perhaps one recessed parking location for a limited number of taxis and it controlled by a taxi organiser. Enter from one street, exit at the next and no cruising for fares.
- Ban all private cars, all day, every day, with decent bright signage at any entry point.
- Recessed parking for delivery vehicles and tradespeople and further restrict their times.
- Adequate parking for police vehicles off Swanston Street. They accumulate at the corner of Swanston Street and Flinders Lane.
- Ban Tramway emergency vehicles from parking while waiting for a tram disaster to happen. They can park anywhere.
You would be left with trams in the middle of the road and not blocked by all and sundry and cyclist flowing freely in a lane next to trams
But none of this will happen. It is pie in the sky. What could be done is the existing rules to be enforced.