Monday, August 11, 2008

Up the Ali


In Australia, this bloke is the acceptable face of the Moslem religion. I wouldn't mind doing him. He is quite acceptable as a Moslem to me. Quite hot actually. He is pretty smart too. He grew up in Australia and talks the talk, and walks the walk as an Australian and just because I desire his body in a way unwanted by him, he won't throw stones at me.

I don't like religion much, least of all the Moslem religion, but he is Moslem, but not of the really preachy type. People like him break down the stereotypical mental image some of us have about Moslems.

Should you ask him, mate, have a beer, he would say no, but if you said mate, want a cuppa, he would say, sure and you could chat to him about footy, or architecture, or family matters. All good.

But he is passionately Moslem. So, can we establish that it is not really the Moslem religion we have a problem with, but a racial and immigration problem and get rid of the nonsense, 'I don't like Moslems', aside from the face covering women who will never fit into so called western society?

That should have been a wrap, but I go on to my own detriment. These face cover women, don't they realise that human interaction is dependant on seeing facial expressions?

10 comments:

  1. "...don't they realise that human interaction is dependant on seeing facial expressions?"

    I take it you're fucked if you're blind then, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin1:58 am

    I understand the desire to see the face of Muslim women as I also consciously dislike their face covering. At the same time, I feel I am unconsciously being xenophobic in this because I never had a problem with the extreme covering that most Catholic nuns have since got over.

    Historically, I believe liberal and respected Muslim thinkers believe face covering is a mis-interpretation of Islam in support of a patriarchy which Muhammad didn't like personally but which has obviously survived him by many centuries (for example Fatima Mernissi makes this case in her "The Veil and the Male Elite"). It's a fascinating read.

    Nevertheless the veiling is meant to be a sign of modesty and the more we oppose it, the more it will be seen by Muslims as a necessary political statement.

    Interestingly, the veil has generally been only considered practical historically in the elite classes in Muslim societies where women's veils were effectively an elitist sign of elite status. Only in modern times has it been seen as a generally religious requirement for all Muslim women at all times in 'public spaces'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the interview with him last night and was very impressed with his commonsense attitude, humour, logic and style.
    The Spouse has watched href="http://www.salamcafe.com.au/">Salam Cafe and finds it a top comedy.
    I'm not so fussed over the veil issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disadvantaged surely Brian.

    Thanks Martin. Interesting point about the veil becoming a political statement.

    I have heard him for a long time on the radio Jayne. He is very sensible. I did catch some of Salam Cafe once but our Ch31 is almost unwatchable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, religion is moribund and has always been destined to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:38 am

    You wouldn't want them to lift their veils, Andrew. It's a horrid sight, trust me.

    Think of the female equivalent of 'The Elephant Man' and you will understand why they are forced to cover up in public.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good view Reuben.

    Tongue in cheek Anon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get 31 either Andrew but Salam Cafe is now on SBS which you might have better luck receiving.

    Well I assume it will be back after the games are over

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, ok TVAU. It was originally on Ch31 then?

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah it was on 31 first, then SBS took it over

    ReplyDelete