Monday, August 04, 2008

Gold, gold, gold and a note to Mr Yu

China is an interesting and fascinating country and Beijing is soon to host the Olympic Games. At some moments, I waver in my belief in democracy when it comes to governing such large and diverse countries. Of course India is a democracy on the face of it, but hardly a successful one, if the measure is the elimination of poverty. Could China ever be governed as a non corrupt democracy? We haven't even managed that yet.

I could bash on about Tibet, The Peoples Army, pollution, The Communist Party, intransigence, workers rights, really bad hair dye on leaders,........the list could be very long.

But I will leave that for those with more knowledge and confidence of their thoughts.

What I wish is, for you average Mr and Mrs Yu, and of course Grannie Yu too along with young Bart and Baby Yu, is a very successful Olympic Games. Mr and Mrs Yu, I know you are very poor and eek out a meagre living, but just as we do in the west, you have dreams and you love your children and want the best for them. We are bound more by the things we have in common, than we are by our differences.

Mr and Mrs Yu, I wish I could say that I find the Olympic Games interesting, but apart from watching the male divers (my friend in Sydney will digitally record and edit them for me), I won't really be watching.

However, at the conclusion of the games, I hope you can both stand and puff your chests out and feel a sense of pride that your country, for all its issues, hosted and presented a wonderful Olympic Games.

I am more usually more a 'bah humbug' type person, but I say, on ya, Mr and Mrs Yu. I wish you and your Olympic Games well. You will be entitled to feel some pride.

3 comments:

  1. "I waver in my belief in democracy"

    I've never wavered in mine. It's a big load of old bollocks and that's that.

    Democracy, as far as I can see, is totalitarianism without the opportunity for an uprising. I've spent my entire life voting within the acceptable limits of the three main British parties, and never once has the party I've voted for been elected.

    When the governing party of a country only manages a third of the votes (such as New Labour did at the last election) but still gains the power to take control of 100 per cent of the voting population's lives, you've got to seriously wonder if democracy is all it's cracked up to be.

    Better a benevolent dictator than a democratically elected bastard, eh?

    Trouble is, there aren't many benevolent dictators to the pound these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't be watching the games. I have better things to do....like watch out for little lead particles in my sex toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would quite like to be ruled by a benevolent dictator Brian, if I can't be one.

    You both scare me and excite me Reuben.

    ReplyDelete