We were quite proud of our newsletter effort. We checked it many times, pulled sentences apart, arguing over points of grammar and style and finally we thought it was ready to go to the proof reader. (and no, I am not going to do any of that for my blog posts)
The proof reader, a retired school teacher who is a resident, took it away to her holiday house over the weekend and returned it the following Monday with a nice note and a 10/10 mark.
It went before the committee last Tuesday night for approval of content. A tick there.
R emailed it to the building managing company Wednesday morning for printing. Email back saying printing was under way. A few minutes later, an email from the secretary of the Owners Corporation who had found two mistakes, a mistakenly repeated word and a 'the' that should have had a capital letter.
I was angry with myself for missing it, surprised that our proof reader did not pick it up and surprised no one else noticed.
If no one noticed it when checking it, except for one who has someone in the OC secretary's office who is a very good proof reader, then not many others will notice......we hoped.
131 copies of the newsletter were delivered, for us to distribute, by the building management company and there was an ink smudge on every page in the same place and it was printed on very cheap paper and looked awful. They are not obliged to print it, so we can't insist that it be redone.
It was the straw that tipped the donkey's broken back over the edge, so we have decided to re print it ourselves at our expense on expensive bright white paper.
Now the extra delay has resulted in our piece about the about to be commissioned new bicycle storage room being redundant, as the room has opened.
There were some serious lessons for us to learn.