Sunday, July 13, 2008

Foreign Accents

Well, they were foreign to me. I really got fed up with the English accents for no other reason than that towards the end of the holiday, they started to grate on my nerves. Of course, like Australia, there is no one English accent, however, theirs are much more varied.

For us Aussies, the Geordie accent is not unlike Scottish. In fact they use some Scottish words, such as bairn for baby or young child. They also say tab for cigarette. "Tab mate" means a request for a cigarette or if a rising inflexion is used, it could be an offer of a tab.

Geordie does have at least one wonderful word and I am not sure how it is spelt but I would spell it hoy. It is a multi purpose word. You can hoy something away (in the cupboard perhaps). You can hoy something out, put it in the rubbish bin. I think you may even be able to hoy off home. You can certainly hoy a boy/girl friend.

And when you meet someone, it is not necessary to say to say hello, how are you. You pre-empt that by just saying 'orright', as you shake their hands or give them a peck.

While listening to the car wireless when driving to Blackpool, I became quite excited when their was discussion on the Beeb about internet domain names, because there was an Australian being interviewed. Although an obviously educated Australian, it did give me a thrill to hear him speak.

Blackpool was the only place where a thick English accent beat me. He was a young bartender and I ordered meals. After the fourth time trying to understand him, I just gave up and went back to the table and sent R, who did not do much better. I mentioned this to a couple of people and they just muttered something about Lancashire.

Well you English folk, as much as our accent may grate on you, at least you can understand us.......mostly.

So Bwca, does Pants have an English accent or a Queensland one?

10 comments:

  1. LOL
    Homesick for strine, Andrew?
    Always have a giggle when an Aussie doco, made for the UK/USA gets shown in Oz and it has sub-titles, even though it's plain old English being spoken lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The British have unheard of ways of addressing eachother. Instead of saying "Gday mate, how's it going" - they tend to say (at least in Oxford, according my my friend Sam) 'Sright'.
    Also, in Bristol they apparently address inanimate objects as 'she' all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By gum Andrew, tha's canny critique us Blackpuddin' accents tha knows. We awl tork tha quin's inglish roond these parts an' reet gradley wur do eet too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try saying that with a gobful of scotch, Fleetwood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does surprise me Jayne. While some of us have a strong broad accent, I think we are quite easy to understand, but I have heard of the trouble US people have.

    It is a very regional thing Reuben. They are very easy about dealing with accents. Not once did I get, oh, are you Australian.

    No, Jahteh, he would become even worse after a drink and less able to be understood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pants cracks me up when she 'does' English accents -her Sarf London is a shreiker,
    but she normally has excellent diction, with occasionally the ghost of Sybil Fawlty floating across the narrative.

    Yesterday there was pining for the 'chips with everything' you mention in the post above.
    The chips at The Arab in Lorne came with PROPER, 'made' mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:18 pm

    My first BF was from Bolton, trying to understand his family talk was near impossible. It eventually became easier - but then everyone started asking if I was a Pom. Being around them long enough I had picked up the accent.

    Talking of being surrounded by all the pooftahs in the UK, if you can find a movie called 'When I'm 64' I am sure you will enjoy it. Yes it is a gay english movie. Try downloading from net as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd reckon she would be pretty funny Bwca. The Sybil reference amuses me.

    Ok Anon. Not heard of that movie. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good Andrew.

    I must say we have just bought an HD Set Top Box, which has a text option.

    We just can't understand all those lovely Pommy accents, and subtitles have taken us into a whole new realm of TV enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah Bliss, some can be really hard.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.