Tuesday, April 01, 2008

End of Highrise

Do not fret dear readers, it is not the end of the Highriser blog, just that enough is enough. For dire financial reasons, such as us living beyond our means, the highrise has been sold. We got an ok price. We are sick of going without to pay for this place. We are now seriously cashed up. Today is moving day and for once I can afford to buy a full tank of petrol.

We are moving to our one bedroom flat in East St Kilda and I will have to replace the view pic on my blog header for our view out the windows of our flat, a timber paling fence sitting on a concrete wall with some nice cream fifties flat bricks above the fence. 18 squares down to 5. Some culling of possessions will be required and perhaps the culling of a partner too. It is only one bedroom.

Looks like I will end my days in a squalid little flat.

Worse still, we seem to be able to only have dial up internet at our flat/new home. I am not sure how I will be able to blog as I am used to. Waiting for stuffs to load for ages. I am not sure I can cope. While I assured you readers that the blog will stay, it may become a brief text only blog.

I should try to be positive about how sad our situation has become. We will meet some new people at the flat block I suppose. Some nice and happy and friendly smiling Russian Jewish peoples.

Blogging will resume once phone is connected and that funny old box makes all those weird sounds and connects me to you all via a telephone line. So quaint. I would laugh if I wasn't crying.

19 comments:

  1. Oh Andrew I'm so sorry to read such sad news. I know how much you love it there and the view too, being able to see so much from your window. But life is what you make it.... I'm sure you will be happy again.

    But how come only dial up? Don't know that I could live anywhere that didn't have high speed internet. I am not good at waiting.... FOR ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry my new friend that you have these sufferings. I hope you are back in the blogosphere without too long a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats not good. Sorry to hear.

    I vote for obtaining broadband ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you are experiencing troubles, and yeh, be positive, change can be good, and by the way, broadband is available over the copper threads, and it works pretty good. Looking forward to your next set of posts..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:28 am

    Wouldn't have anything to do with the date, would it? Pity those on the other side of the international dateline!

    Walker

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you'll be able to have a look at that illegal archaeological dig that's going on in St Kilda. And you could always ask 'em to lay a few broadband cables whilst they've got the ground up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll try to keep the photos to a minimum so you can still hang out with me.

    Happy moving day, if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn! I'm sorry to read about your move and situation :(
    ((hugs)) and find the silver lining soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Shirl does a Quentin Crisp?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh , that is not much fun Andrew. I am really sorry to hear this news.

    On the bright side East St Kilda is a great locale; being cashed up is going to feel fantastic every day of the week and you can definitely get broadband via the phoneline so you needn't suffer the woes of dial up. Best of luck with the move and now you have a new and very historic area to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ... and, as I think as I've mentioned before, Internode is a good broadband supplier. First off - no 12, 18, 24 month contracts. Pay as you go. Reasonable rates. GOOD Helpdesk (How rare is that!)

    Check them out on Whirlpool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ... and how often do you see a CEO (Simon Hackett) of an internet company willing to stick his head up and interact with the punters on a discussion forum? Haven't seen Sol Trujillo doing that much - ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coles ALERT!!! Dont shop at the St Kilda store its yucky..Im sure it will be nice and cosy in your flat ...Hope the move goes well

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck, Andrew. And don't go near the Chapel-Balaclava intersection. It's full of DHS candidates. There is some really good Japanese restaurants there (Rolls, for instance) and of course you have the Jewish delicatessens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please dont be sad Andrew. You and R have enjoyed the highrise but you never know what else will come from this. From this you may find another abode suited to your needs..just hold on tight, and enjoy yourself...think about things after you have been to Europe ok, huggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy April 1st!

    Seriously, this is an April fools joke right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't care how poor you get, I'm not sharing the Bombay with you.

    How about that, April already!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deleted! I'm not going to give you the pleasure, you naughty thing.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.