Sunday, April 06, 2008

Da word verification

I am nagging again. Do you know you only need blog comment word verification on if you are getting a significant amount of spam comments? Try turning it off for a bit and make your blog a friendlier place. I had mine on for a while and then switched it off and now barely get any spam comments. I did get that 800,000 word religious one though.

But how unsympathetic is Blogger/Blogspot? When I mistype the word verification, as I often do when commenting on other people's blogs, I would have thought the next try would be a bit easier. Nope, it is usually harder and gets progressively so. There are more letters. Closer together. More odd shapes. Perhaps this is necessary to defeat spammers, but I doubt it. Totally random I suppose.

12 comments:

  1. That verification thingy drives me batty too. I think the longer you look at it or think about it the more likely you will stuff it up.

    But I loves me someone who turns the damn thing off!

    (popped on over from Jaynes blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention it...I've gotten three spam comments in the last two days and had decided if it keeps up I was going to have to turn verification on.

    I hate, hate, hate the word verification though, so I'm hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I did get that 800,000 word religious one though."

    Was Robbert back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone else find the similarities in word verification between 'q' and 'g' and between 'vv' and 'w' maddening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The font types sometimes look like chicken scratchings to me...aka doctor's handwriting :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly and welcome. You are correct. Don't concentrate too hard.

    If you do Daisy Jo, just do it for a few days.

    In his absence Brian. Hmmm, maybe he is not so absent.

    I should think we all do Victor.

    Chicken scratchings. Love it Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm too scared to turn it off in case they come back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think the umpty million religious comments were a short persistent aberration. (I blame George Pell!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go on Non Blondie. Live dangerously. Easy to switch it back on, but I never have had to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pell? Speaking of crank religious types.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shall remove mine. I will pose the question to my blog viewers. Religious wackos's comments will be deleted and if possible - traced. Never will I allow such scum to permeate the sanctity of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate that damn thing and I fail miserably quite often. I just find it easier to delete the spam than put people through that shit.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.