Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Books

I would only read a third the number of books I used to in days before www and probably one quarter of the papers and magazines. It is my choice. If I want to read, I read. If I want to sit at pc with the www, then I shall.

What I mostly read are books with an historical bent, often local Australian history, but sometimes about very different subjects. I am known for getting much pleasure from just staring at maps

When someone's partner was on holidays over easter and so no free newspapers were arriving, I thought I would get through a couple of books, but I just did not feel like reading anything full of facts. I wanted something light, something I could not put down, but could also put down for a couple of days and pick up easily where I left off.

I remembered a couple of books my step mother lent me, the time when we went to Broken Hill mid last year and we stayed a night with her.

So I have knocked of John Grisham's The Last Juror and I am half way through The Partner. It is nice to just escape into books like these and enjoy the read.

I still have The Broker to go and it will probably travel to the UK and back with me.

10 comments:

  1. I have particular subjects that I love reading but I can read the back of a cornflake packet and find something interesting in it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Grisham is an easy read. Good for holiday reading especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want perfect reading material that wins out over the internet any day, Andrew, you couldn't go wrong with any of the following:

    http://stores.lulu.com/
    harrisandhughes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried badgering my local library to get those books in Brian but nothing doing - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mythology, sci fi, para normal are not my usual reading Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same with me Jayne. I cannot just sit and do nothing. I must have something to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victor, there are good reasons then why he is very popular author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone's partner should still get him a newspaper, vacation or no.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got so hungry reading the Last Juror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so true Daisy Jo.

    Had to think about that one for half a minute Captain. The black woman's cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.