Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In Modern Australia...

Can this really happen in Australia now? Read the article here. I fully understand about the Asian backpackers. I can well imagine how they scared. The fault was with them. They need educating and a talking to about their inappropriate reaction. I hope that is not perceived as racist agin Japanese. Those who were kicked out were decent people who were being discriminated against for purely the colour of the skin. As usual, money wins over.

With the proviso that I hope they were not loud and offensive, so then they deserve to be kicked, just like anyone else.

M'lord wrote one of his salient posts on the matter.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:12 am

    Looks great Andrew!

    Maybe you should reverse the picture in the top frame so that the words "High Riser" appear in the sky instead of over that building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a damned thing to do... boycott of the establishment ....or complaint to the Association who made the matter worse? I don't know, yo just cannot help dumb. It ought not happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anon. I would if I could, or move the words. At least they show better in the present colour.

    Quite a bit of media interest in Cazzie. Good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to play devil's advocate here (it's not like me, I know...but I'm in that sort of mood tonight) and say that given the facts...or more precisely the lack of them...it would be prejudicial and judgemental for anyone to condemn either the aboriginees, the asian backpackers or, come to that matter, the owners of the hostel.

    In fact, it strikes me that the real culprits here are the reporters, intent on stirring up the bigotted leanings of individuals (most of whom, no doubt, instantly made up their own minds as to who was to blame) without any substantiation to back up any specific claim...all delivered in a tabloid article with the usual sensationalist gusto.

    Without the full facts being known everybody, therefore, is guilty and everybody is innocent. At least until a court of law settles the matter. An open and shut case of Schroedinger's race row, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it's a problem with the hostel. They have the autonomy to stand up against racism, but instead they decided to negligently offend some customers to appease other's illegitimate worries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite so Brian. I just add that the heavy media started covering it yesterday. They are somewhat more respected.

    All about the dollars Reuben, as usual.

    ReplyDelete