Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour

Some nonsense from Sydney has caught on around the world. Earth Hour means we switch our lights off for an hour between 8 and 9pm on Saturday 29th March. We went along with the futility of it. It was a bit exciting. We are toasty warm thanks to our heating and we can still operate by the glow from outside lighting coming in, the large tv screen and the pc monitor.

As a scheme to reduce our nocturnal carbon dioxide emissions, it was pointless, possibly negative from candles being lit and some taking it as a chance for a bit of jiggy jig and further populating our planet which is the real problem. See Daniel's marvellous pie graph. As a publicity stunt, it was brilliant. People are talking about the greenhouse effect. People who I never imagined are showing concern. This community feeling will give confidence to politicians to act.

Back to the pie graph. I am astonished at the low figure for cooling and call it into question, but it is pretty clear what is causing the problem. Bloody well walk, or ride the bike, or at least use public transport. You in your motor, ok yes, me too, are the problem.

14 comments:

  1. i would LOVE to walk/ride/train to work and save the environment.. but Melbourne's transport system is not designed in a way to move across town but is only designed to take people in and out of the CBD. I'd have to leave home at about 6.00am to get to work in time. And then I wouldn't get home until perhaps 8.00pm provided the planets lined up and I was able to make all my connecting services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I drive my car a few kilometres to work when there is a perfectly good tram going past. Public transport has to be better. I thought you were in Sydney. I will give your marvellous blog some publicity that it deserves very soon. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realised years ago what was causing the greenhouse effect. All those politicians talking crap, that's what. There's been a massive build up of methane over centres of administration in recent decades, creating its own arsehole in the ozone layer.

    Now politicians are telling me that by 2050 the human race will be destroyed...which apparently justifies an increase in airfares and petrol tax. Everyone...dead...imagine that. Can't see a down side in it myself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't find the emission ratings for my broomstick anywhere...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. blah blah physics blah
    Anything that creates heat (heaters, hairdryers, etc.) uses up more energy than if you were to cool a system. So...winters are deadly for our environment? People should just wear more clothes/move more instead of sitting around feeling cold and using heating. That'd reduce a lot of CO2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was symbolic, but on a practical level, futile. The best way to mitigate emissions is to stop building freeways, coal stations and cease logging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was odd that when the hour ended in Sydney there was a fireworks display. Just another form of waste and pollution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Earth hour was a good publicity stunt. We were in the city though, and it was semi-amusing how few big businesses turned off all their lights. Of course, Flinders Street did - and it looked glorious in the dark.
    Rather eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G and I went along with earth hour. It was a feel good exercise but hopefully enough people did it to show there are votes in caring for our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may be right Brian. I am a strong follower of the Earth looking after itself. It may well kill us to survive.

    Lost in some orifice perhaps Jayne?

    Seeming I am coming to understand this Mon Capitan.

    Tell me you are kidding Victor.

    Bar hopping as usual Rosanna. Kewl.

    LiD, we have to keep in mind that we are not in a good position to lecture other countries, but we can set an example in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reuben, I am not being critical, but your faith and idealism give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Andrew, many thanks for the kind words above! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems you're not the only one who wasn't impressed, Andrew...

    http://legalsoapbox.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/earth-hour-what-a-crock/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Np TvAu.

    Blonde Can, interesting. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete