Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Controlling your hairdresser

I do luvs my US blogging mate Daisy Jo. Yesterday she tore around her small Ohio town slipping and sliding on ice. Not quite true, she was having severe traction problems and not getting anywhere fast.

Today she suffered a lightning attack on her eyebrows by her hairdresser with hot wax at hand.

These hair dressers try to disarm you with their endless chit chat but you have to take control.

Not the last time but the time before when I had my hair cut at the usual place in Brunswick Street (no free advertising for him anymore), the owner cut it. I was a little vague about what I wanted buy said basically a buzz cut, perhaps number five on top and three at the sides. He suggested he could merge the two better with scissors and I said ok. Result was fine, except it cost six dollars more.

Next time I got my favourite cutter, a Kiwi born lass. She did as I asked. I know in the past I have said that I prefer males to cut my hair, but I have changed my mind. Ok?

Today she was absent, so I got the boss again. I firmly stated what I wanted in my deepest butch voice and I did not get an argument.

You really do have to be assertive with hairdressers.

15 comments:

  1. Maybe that's been my problem in the past with other hairdressers: not assertive enough. Of course, you can only be assertive if you really understand what you want yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the point Daisy Jo. As a not so young person now, it is a lot easier to say what I want because I have the same all the time. No long hair and tight curls, no blond mowhawk and nothing in between. Btw what would shothouse mean? A row of shothouses on the wrong side of the tracks where blacks live. I know what wrong side of the tracks means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it just me? Or is it strangely erotic to have someone else wash your hair? Oh, and for some reason, M or F hairdresser seems to have the same effect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to find it so Rob. Well, only from a particular male. Also once, he did a head massage as well. It was bliss. You get a sort of melting feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, I absolutely LOVE the new layout! It suits you well - beautiful layout and so easy to read. One of the main issues I have with so many layouts.

    I'm so with you on the hair dresser sitution - you really need to choose carefully. They have your appearance in their hands

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you've got hair like mine you don't bother parting with money for someone else to bugger it up. A pair of crimping scissors, a shaving mirror and a morning when I don't have a hangover usually suffices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard of the first part before, only the wrong side of the tracks part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew, I have had some traumatising experiences with hairdressers and I have never found that one special one that I can really trust.

    There are the lecturing nags, the ex-truckies that manhandle, the bouffant makers, the damn permers who should have known better and worst of all the one wash and you've got a mullet artistes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rosanna, a str8 eye for a queer guy.

    Pleased that you can bugger your hair up as good as the hairdresser Brian.

    Ok Daisy Jo, term from the deep south I think.

    Lol LiD. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:44 pm

    Do what I did and marry your hairdresser, free haircuts for life. Stole him from Elgin St, Carlton and brought him to Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol Anon. Elgin St eh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Assertive yet careful, as those hairdressers have thos all expensive SHARP scissors in their hands, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And mix the dyes Cazzie. Revenge could last until hair grows out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:47 pm

    Have you tried Raw Element in Elgin St, Carlton (just past Lygon St on right hand side heading towards university), Andrew? The owner is a nice ethnic boy who does wonders with mens hair - has won many awards for his cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like I should have a look at least Anon.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.