Friday, February 08, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year

C'mon, I know there are at least three of you Chinese heritage people reading this. Happy New Year to ya.

I have received three Chinese Happy New Year email greetings and one sms. I have just realised that I will probably live to be old enough to see Australia generally, celebrate Chinese New Year. This is good. Any excuse for a bit of binge drinking.

Now to get you up to speed on the protocols, here is the dirt on how to celebrate Chinese NY with a Chinese friend. You stuff an orange with your left hand into a red envelope and throw it at your loved friend with both hands. They then return fire with a deafening fire cracker. With them bruised and you burnt, you both go and get under a Chinese dragon and dance. The appreciative crowd gives you gold money.

I think that is how it goes. I should probably check the finer details.

8 comments:

  1. I want to eat some chinese now!! Oh it is too early in the a.m. fo that, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smoking and confusing - Chinese New Year. Lots of fire-works and fiery colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there money in the envelope? If so, can you throw one at me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly comment.7:54 pm

    From the people that gave us "Two wongs don't make a white", "Gung Ho Fat Chow"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert, I did not realise you had two blog identities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gee... things to try before you die suddenly comes to mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of goodies too!!
    Do you have a Chinatown around?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do indeed have quite a large Chinatown Solitaire and an excellent Chinese Museum. Chinese have been in Aust for nearly as long as English.

    ReplyDelete