Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Centenary Bridge

All that remains of Port Melbourne's Centenary Bridge is this pylon, still in situ.

Even if you are only a thirty years old Melburnian, you probably can remember that bridge on the beach road at Port Melbourne.

In spite of the nice remaining pylon, it was ugly and dividing and I would go so far as calling it a monstrosity.

The area is so much nicer now, as is Flinders Street without the King Street overpass. Predictions of the end of Melbourne should it be demolished proved to not happen.

The second photo should be large enough for you to read of this history of the Centenary Bridge, should you so wish.

I just had a look at google images and it seems it was so ugly, no one ever took a photo of it.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, the picture is not big enough. If you want to know what the text says, let me know and I can email you the full sized pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool as! WOW!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are photos of it at pictureaustralia.org/
    just put 'Centenary Bridge' into the searchbox.
    A thoughtful photographer went to work just before the 1991 demolition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks BWCA. I didn't try very hard did I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Centenary Bridge was beautiful and I was very sorry to see it demolised. It was possibly unique since it had the normal road spanning the railway line then a third leg running at right angles onto the pier. It was almost impossible to capture with a single photo because you could never get far enough away from it to get it all in one picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have somewhat revised my opinion David. The bridge itself was quite nice, but its treatment was poor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:22 pm

    I quite like the bridge and the character of the area. I was sorry to see it replace by an overcrowed resort style suburb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anon. I had actually forgotten about the bridge. I wish I had taken photos of it.

    ReplyDelete