How much poorer Australia would be without ABC TV's Media Watch.
Headlines and lead lines like this are bound to stoke the fires of homophobia.
The newspapers everyone with half a brain love to hate, The Herald Sun in Melbourne and the Sydney Daily Telegraph, both published this story.
You should read the Media Watch transcript or listen to it online but just to point out a few things,
- the babies were not ordered
- they did not choose the sex of their babies
- the babies were not twins (in fact many months age different)
- they did not pay anywhere near the suggested figure of $133,000
- for their children's sake they asked not to be identified
- the names used were wrong anyway
- they stated that the did not wish to co-operate with the writer
- they were not Australian citizens
I suppose the headline, gays have babies, has lost its impact. Gee, these newspapers make my blog look a pretty damn accurate record of history.