Thursday, November 29, 2007

Street Lamps



I wonder how many of these old street lamp brackets are left around Melbourne? I have come across a couple of them.




The first pictures are of the old Malvern Fire Station, now and art gallery. Clearly fire engines were not the size they are now. Today's models would not come close to fitting through the doors. I do remember when this fire station was operational. It is a fine utility building. I doubt that the location of the lighting bracket is original.
















This other lamp pictured is in the laneway next to Safeway in Balaclava. I can well imagine that it is an original location.

If you know of any others, I would be interested to hear.

5 comments:

  1. I can't remember seeing any around. I will keep an eye out.

    LiD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often very rewarding to focus above shop window level.
    I like tram journeys for this enjoyment. In particular I like to discover any of the MANY sharks over fish shops. Has anybody else noticed these? Grey sharks, possibly fibreglass and quite large.
    You can forget your Peters Ice Cream plastic cone lights, as every collectors watching arriviste is onto those - I'm the shark-spotter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of any shark locations, but I have seen them. Looking up is a great idea. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, I love how you point out things we so often don't notice. I'm going to be on the look-out from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There could be quite a lot of them around MD, I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete