Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Grandma Singing

Up till perhaps the age of ten, if we were staying at my grandmother's house, I or my brother would often sleep in the bed with our grandmother.

She used to sing to us sometimes when we were snuggled into bed.

K K K Katie, beautiful Katie, you're the only g g g girl that I adore. When the moon shines over the cowshed, I'll be waiting at your k k k kitchen door.

What a nonsense song, but I will never forget it.

She did better with the Road to Gundagai.

There's a track winding back to an old fashioned house along the road to Fumina South. Where the gum trees are growing, the Tanjil River's flowing, beneath the Baw Baw skies.

There was more, but sadly I have forgotten it.

I don't know she was a smart woman or not. She rarely gave an opinion and it was rare for her to talk about anything else but family, friends and day to day stuff. Even then she was not much of a talker. She would walk away from a raised voice and never showed any emotion. She worked hard as a housewife and never complained. She was reasonably comfortable financially in her old age, but hated spending money. She never quite grasped that one pound equalled two dollars. Two dollars in her mind was double one pound and so whatever was very expensive.

I suppose she was satisfied with her life. From an outsiders perspective, it did not seem much, but then it was different times.

That she loved us grandchildren was a given. We knew it, and that was all that mattered.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny. What matters to children are often the most important things in life (ie, being loved) but as we grow older we tend to forget that as material things grow in importance.

    beautiful post, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Andrew, you've made me miss my Granny. She was a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living is Detail12:32 am

    Wonderful post Andrew. As I was reading it I was taken back to being a little kid tucked up with my gran. Safe and sound.

    LiD

    ReplyDelete
  4. CresceNet8:11 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Nana used to sing me that song too,so much so I named my daughter Katie (although she doesn't hang around kitchen doors LOL).

    Your Grandmother must have been a lovely lady, it takes a strong person to walk away from a raised voice and keep her own counsel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MD, a grandparents love can be better as it comes with less restrictions. Ours certainly did.

    There may be a chance that they are looking down Daisy Jo. Would not hurt to write some things about her.

    Safe and sound LiD. The key.

    Jayne, I wonder if hanging around kitchen doors was as bad then as hanging around street corners now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss my Nanna :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Jo, I too, miss my Nana. She wrote on her piano keys with a felt pen A B C D E F G
    so we kids could play simple tunes.
    She was President of the St. Kilda Chapter of The Bing Crosby Fan Club!

    Jack O'Hagan lived in Head St Elwood when he wrote The Road To Gundagai, and would have loved Nan HighRise customising it to the Tanjil and the Baw Baws.
    He also wrote
    'Back back back to Yarrawonga.
    In Yarrawonga, I'll linger longer ... '

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linger longer in Yarrawonga is a fave phrase of mine Ann. Sadly I don't get occasions to use it. I think O'Hagan ended up in one of the monstrous houses in North Road Brighton that had been converted to a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.