Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Dame M at the races

She wasn't today. Instead she sat in her very dark house, darkened because she cannot bear glare because of her eye disease, with a few minions, her boarder, her tenant and R. Luckily I was at work. Lucky for the brother friends are now overseas. Lucky for the dyke friend and her g/f are in Qld.

I arrived home at a bit after three from work and R called soon after. 'Are you coming down?', he asked. I said no, I am busy, which I was, but I felt bad as I knew R was having a hard and boring time of it. I went down. It was boring.

We ate some food and had one drink and just under two hours was limit.

Dame M did spark a bit. She said for years she went to the Melbourne Cup with a large group. She lived on Punt Road hill then. They would book a table at a hotel where they would eat on the way home (now closed and forgotten the name, Riverside?) then party on at her place and sleep, or pass out, four to each single bed. There was some mad cavorting in black lacy underwear and some rooting around. She said it was the best time of her life and then she made a terrible mistake and got married and the fun ended.

Well, I know for her the fun did not end, but I understand her point. Among the four today, they organised a sweep for the cup and Dame M got 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

11 comments:

  1. So did ya bet n win?

    keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Keshi. Working for double time and a half was probably a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "now closed and forgotten the name, Riverside?"

    "The Riverside Hotel"? That grotty hotel under the bridge thing down under/by the Yarra on the way to Richmond/MCG which certainly has now gone to God, or the big "excess to requirements" brewery in the sky. Poncey private school lads ... errrr, 'chaps' is how they would've preferred to be referred to as ... and us followers what barracked for them because we knew no better back in those days ... who did coxless eight boat racing passed by there back in ancient days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would be the one. What was the nearest cross street or bridge name? I can't quite work out where you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down by Punt Road? It was a long time ago before I reached my majority. (Read into that what you wish!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I know now. At the base of the on ramp to the South Eastern Freeway. I guess that would have been it, since she lived at the top of Punt Road hill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, that't be the spot ... probably was, back then, one of the more unattractive parts of this fine city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for Dame M getting the sweep. Poor love, I hate to think of people with eye disease, my nan had it and she couldnt stand the glare either :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fine old pub was frequented by sailors... and me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should do more reminiscing Jahteh. Such and interesting past. Did you say sailors?????

    ReplyDelete