Saturday, November 03, 2007

Chop chop




I like trees. I may be very politically incorrect, but I like exotic trees. Give me a stately elm before some scrubby paper bark. Paper barks belong in the bush (native forest for my international readers). Bush is good. We should have more of it. Lots more. Oddly, we are still destroying bush, even though we know how important it is to us.

But for the city, exotics are mostly more appropriate. Trees don't feel pain. When I see them felled, I feel the pain for them. I don't like it even if they are a very ugly tree.

The apartments opposite us seem to be starting to happen. It seems quite a few people have the $2.7 mill plus price for them. Can't build a smart apartment block around a few trees. The London plane trees had to go. I watched their destruction from the balcony and felt very sad.

4 comments:

  1. It's really quite a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very sad sight. Sigh. I agree the exotics add so much to a built up environment; it might be the cleaner lines and the much needed green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see, it depends on which exotic trees. Some are more environmentally pestiferous than others. For instance, plain trees spread seeds which are nasal irritants for many people (myself included), but Elm Trees are not.
    Whilst it's sad to see old trees go, new native trees are always a pleasant site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't agree with me either SueGlossy, nor poplars or privet, but I still prefer them appearance wise, well not privet. It is a real environmental pest. Ah but wattle is bad for me.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.