Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The building's newsletter....again

I would not call our building's newsletter a labour of love. I would call it damn hard work. The previous ones have been A4 sized. We have managed to produce two a year. This time, it is A3 sized, so more writing although one page is mostly photos.

We finally thought we had it perfect, well as good as we can do, and we were already to email off to be printed. R attached it to an email and I then noticed it was nearly 35mb. What??????

I immediately suspected the photos as I had not resized them before inserting them into the Word document. But even if there are eight photos at 1mb each, it still does not add up to 35mb.

I resized the pictures and R sat down to insert them into the document and delete the old photos.

Now R is very familiar with Publisher but not so with Word and nor am I when it comes to messing about with pictures. He wanted to make the newsletter with Publisher and I resisted. I wish I had kept my trap shut.

After half an hour of fiddling, he finally had it again arranged correctly. Now I often nag him about saving work. I know through bitter experience. But did he? No. Work lost. Another twenty or so minutes re-doing it.

I don't know why, but resizing the pictures brought it down to just over 3mb. It has been circulated to committee members by another member as a pdf file and it is only 165kb. I don't like pdf much, but I better grow to like it.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew, when you insert a photo in to Word you can reduce a pictures size by right clicking it, choose 'Format Picture' and then hit the Compress button.

    The steps may change slightly between Word versions but Format Picture | Compress should be there somewhere if you have a hunt around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a good ole play with format picture Tony, but no compress button or otherwise to be seen. I have even looked in the help file. Word 2000. I will worry about it next time I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word can be an absolute pain. Pdf's on the other hand are good because they embed the fonts you have used in your design so the document looks the same on any pc or mac you open it on even if it doesn't have the same set of fonts available. Annoying nerdy outburst is now over.

    Oh yes, did you get the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ic LiD. Never occurred to me about the fonts. Makes sense. Just about to check email now.

    ReplyDelete