Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PI 2


This is the bridge across to Phillip Island from San Remo on one side to Newhaven on the Island but before this bridge was built there was a very old timber bridge.

My grandparents used to take us kids to the island before the present bridge was built. It was in a very poor state and my grandmother was always worried that it would collapse. My grandfather's solution to her concern was to wind up the Zephyr and get a good high speed run at the bridge. His logic was to spend the minimal amount of time on the bridge by getting to the other side as quickly as possible. There was much clattering of boards and bouncing around of the car and perhaps just a little more wear to the bridge than necessary.

Our brother friends also remember the old bridge. They were always excited about a trip to the Island but terrified when travelling over the bridge.

The old bridge was built in 1940 and the new one in 1969. Before the old suspension bridge, a ferry used to carry passengers across to the island. Tourist buses used to unload their passengers and make them walk across the old bridge and then travel across and pick them up on the other side.

My mother rented a holiday house in San Remo at least once. I think I stayed there for a weekend.

On our way home we stopped to watch pelicans being fed fish heads from the fishing co-op.

Old bridge picture courtesy San Remo Fisherman's C0-op. No fisherwomen employed there.

To get back to Red's Islands and some other great Aussie islands, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I used to do the same thing with wooden bridges. Driving faster has to give you enough momentum to make it across, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Course Daisy Jo. Perfect logic.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.