Monday, September 17, 2007

Caffeine

Are we seeing the first domino fall? I hope so. Starbucks in Glenferrie Road, Malvern has closed, much to the consternation of school kiddies who gathered there on Fridays after school, less for the coffee than the company.

Melbourne has marvellous places to have coffee and our coffee is of such a high standard. So many of the large Australian coffee companies were started in Melbourne by an immigrant from Europe. We don't need Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Hudsons or any other chain of coffee shops. I know they are popular with some of you but they are just so un Melbourne.

Coffee flavoured with walnuts indeed. Bah!

5 comments:

  1. Took littel Miss 4 year old to Starbucks this morning before I went to work. She insists we go there..not for me to have coffee..nope, for her to have a Baby chino..yes..you got that right! Anyway, I just discovered they do cinnamon coffee..never tried it...didn't want to either. I had a cafe mocha. No cream on top. The High School kids do like to hang about the place, you are right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they really? I walked past it yesterday and didn't realise...but then again I tend to ignore the things I don't like down that road.

    I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do agree with you regarding the chain coffee shops; they do take something away from the culture of Melbourne - more commercial, less interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is probably quite sweet Cazzie. Maybe why younger people like it.

    You should have heard the school girls shriek when they discovered it closed Captain. Glenferrie Road is all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starbucks is perfectly fine when you're in downtown Miki or lost somewhere in Beijing or even really, really, really, REALLY tired in York and you need a sugar hit. It's cool. It's English. It's familiar. It's a not-so-quiet haven filled with world weary people who, above all else, need to take a break. I say keep them for the tourists, but we Melbournites know much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good point Ren and I would use it in such circumstances.

    ReplyDelete