Thursday, August 30, 2007

You pay, why should I? PT rant 3

All Australian capitol cities are expanding and the new areas are very car dependant as they don't have any decent public transport. By this, I mean a shortish walk to a bus that can deliver them to a decent and fast rail system.

Well, if you want a McMansion in Upper Combuctor West, then suffer. I have trams and buses sailing past my door all the time and it is not too far to walk to the train station. But I pay dearly to live where I live. The expenses are high and our abode is probably a third of the size of your McMansion.

I think while you should pay for some of your public transport through your taxes, and don't forget I am paying them too, it should primarily come via your developer who should be forced to supply everything in a housing estate. Costs you more, costs the developer some profit, costs the local council, ok, that is you again, and it will cost me via my taxes. I am happy to pay my bit if you are.

4 comments:

  1. Totally off topic but if you want more online news about New Orleans and Katrina, www.reason.com/ is good.

    On topic, more buses and more buses can only be good as long as the roads are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You roads lobbyist you. Don't you want a nice train to take you to Great Southernlands?

    Re Katrina, thanks. I will check it out. This is suddenly a lot of info around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so stupid that I have to walk 15 mins to a bus stop or 30 mins to another stop for Southland. The first bus takes me to Mentone where I get out, walk across the road and get another bus to S/land so the train wouldn't do me much good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you are a bit of a way away from the bus route. Suppose you did not imagine using bus transport when you moved there.

    ReplyDelete