Monday, August 27, 2007

They get you here, they get you there

I received an unsolicited email from Readers Digest. I used to receive postal mail from them many years ago. I never responded and the postal mail stopped.

The funny thing is that when I went online in 1996 I think, I also changed my name. I reversed my two first names. I am now Andrew and although some readers know my old first name, I really am as you know me, Andrew.

But this Readers Digest email just arrived with my old name on it. It makes it so easy to narrow down how Readers Digest obtained my name and are sending me unsolicited email.

I have an old yahoo email address that is in my old name. I doubt they can pick up my present isp email address from that, especially as my name does not show anyway.

I have used my credit card on the net, which is in my old name but I have not used it for a long time and only at very secure sites.

But if you might want to hook up with old school mates, you need to use your old name.

So I know that my Readers Digest spam email came from the schoolfriends.com.au, now reincarnated as friends reunited, now moved onto love matches and now moved on to allowing access or selling my redundant name onto Readers Digest.

Poor form.

4 comments:

  1. You must be right Andrew, I got one too and it was in my maiden name which I have not used for many many years. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes profiles dun get updated as u think they would :)

    keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are a member of one of those sites Jo?

    I always check Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah, I forgot to say that I'm a member of schoolfriends.com.

    I can remember since I was I kid my mum receiving Readers Digest junk in the mail all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.