Saturday, August 18, 2007

My Favourite Pub

This is my favourite Australian pub, although hardly my local as it is in Sydney, Cumberland Street, The Rocks to be more precise. You can see the round white umbrellas on the roof of the Glenmore Hotel roughly in the centre of Google image.

While I have never made the bridge climb as I will not pay the extortionate price, after a much cheaper climb to the top of a Sydney Harbour Bridge pylon and a bit of walk in the hot sun, your reward is an several ice cold drinks at The Glenmore.

You can sit under an umbrella on the roof top or out the front on the footpath and take in the passing parade. In fact we saw these two chaps from the UK walk past hand in hand when they were in Sydney on holidays. The interior of the hotel is very olde worlde and the hotel tapers to a point where the men's toilets are located on the right of the picture below.

The view from the roof top is stunning and I think they have a dj there at night. It is a short climb from The Rocks up the Argyle Stairs at the end of Gloucester Walk.

I love it and I expect a free drink for such a promotion the next time I visit.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know Andrew...you may have to talk about how cute the waiters and bartenders are to score free drinks. The Management probably never gives them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Daisy, I won't be able to walk in and say, 'hi, I'm Highriser, give me a drink?' Waiters and waiteresses were not unattractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I think we ate there for lunch back in February, quite a nice place. The food was decently priced and quite generous. Good atmosphere. Review finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We et there too Andy, a shared bowl of chips I think. I hate being drunk in the middle of the afternoon. It can only go downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete