Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A local walk




If I am home when R returns from work we usually go out for a forty minute stride. He has his own route, but when I am present, we usually go in a direction that I like. I like the streets of South Yarra. Just one street away from the busy St Kilda Road where we live, it is peaceful and quiet in the streets of South Yarra. South Yarra is a very nice place to live, if you can afford it.

I absolutely love Magnolia trees. Every place where we have lived, I planted one. Now, I must walk and appreciate others. The pink one is at a house next to the synagogue. It Magnolia Solangeana, variety, the most popular.

I took a pic of some nice azaleas showing through a fence along the way, Azalea Indica I believe.

I recall that there used to be two knockout white Magnolias along with a stunning pink one in Park Street. The pink one seems to have gone and there is now only one white one. Here is Magnolia Alba.

Click on the pictures for a better view.

14 comments:

  1. Magnolias are nice. I also like jasmine trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'aint seen magnolias unless you've seen them in N'y'Orleans.

    Dinner plate 40DDD size, no kiddin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living as far north as I do, the Magnolias have a short bloom cycle so you don't see them often. They are beautiful.

    Speaking of beautiful, I'm intrigued by the pink house in your third pic. Next time you're out, can you take a picture of the whole thing for me? The bit that you're showing looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to hire a Colonel Sanders video M'lord. Magnolias, mint juleps on the verandah and a black slave boi to entertain me at night.

    Probably not until next week Daisy. I know a bit of history about this place too. Actually for the site walkingmelbourne.com I am going to take photos of all the buildings in Park Street. It has some great and grand houses, abuting each other like there would never be another release of land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know jasmine Firehorse, but not Jasmine trees?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are probably right. I paused to think about that one but went ahead and wrote trees anyone. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops. My eagerness to explain my ignorance just makes me look more silly. :) Anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe Firehorse. I don't like perfect always right people. They give me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I give you the creeps now???

    I love looking around at big old houses and would love to look inside some of them, specially the ones in the wealthier suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Jo? There is more than than one in the world?

    I had a friend who used to do live in house keeping work and I got to see in quite a few large old houses, like two story with four bedrooms, huge dining room and usually modernised at the back. Generally I was not that impressed. They were just very big houses and often with poor natural light, ie dark and dingy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks sensational. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Leon. Good luck with your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely lovely..taking time out to look at what is in front of us is always a good thing...especially when it is nature's gift.
    I love magnolias too, I love the pink blooms that are about right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The scent is quite nice too Cazzie. Plant one yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.