Thursday, July 12, 2007

Travelling North Day 5 Part B

Silverton is an odd place. It was a mining town of course and I think it was around before Broken Hill appeared. It was a mix of substantial buildings such as the church below, with much of the infill being of a lighter construction. Mostly only the substantial buildings are left as time took some of the others and many were transported to Broken Hill when it started going strong and Silverton was waning. So the township is just widely spread buildings with nothing but dirt and some formed streets between them. There was a private train from Silverton to Broken Hill. It was called a tramway though as only the state government was allowed to own train systems. The private company was also contracted to run some government train services.

Below is the gallery of artist who painted our picture that I mentioned back here. We never actually did get a valuation, as helpful as person who runs the gallery was. We did not write the size of the picture down. His work is absolutely everywhere in Silverton and Broken Hill to the point where you are quickly over it. But I did not see a work like ours. I have learnt that it was painted with Vegemite. I think I knew that but had forgotten.
We had a nice lunch in the only proper eating place in Silverton, apart from the pub. I had fruit and nut damper. Very nice. We also ran into two dykes who we had met early in the day at Daydream Mine.

While the area is not quite desert so we were a bit surprised to see camels roaming. Out of shot was a group of them, but the single one shows up better in picture.
These horses were on a mission of some importance known only to themselves. A local person had pulled up her car and was watching them with puzzlement and concern. Perhaps they were irritated by the cold wind blowing.

I suppose you are obliged to see Silverton, but I truly did not find it of great interest. I was starting to get a bit 'art gallery jaded'.

2 comments:

  1. great great pics Andrew!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photographs. They totally fit my stereotype of how Australia should look.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.