Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Melbourne Grammar School MGS

Private schools can be marvellous places to send your children. My sister taught in a male only one and she was a good teacher and well respected and it is an excellent school. While not suitable for everyone, many children receive a first class education at our private schools. All you need as a parent, is the money to pay the fees and for the school I am talking about below, you also probably need to come from the right side of and a reasonable not too far distance from the river. After all, you would not want your child to be a social misfit.

The newish building in the picture above (much of it is underground) caused much botheration when the builder went broke. No doubt it cost the school money and certainly delayed the project.

No sooner had that building been finished and away they went with another, above. Melbourne Grammar School is clearly awash with money and who's money is it? Much of it is parents money but the school is the recipient of a substantial amount of taxpayers money. The amount must be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer's money.

This rot started under Gough Whitlam in the 1970s when he started to give money to catholic schools. Now all private religious schools seem to receive money from taxpayers.

So, should Vietnamese immigrant who gets up at 5.30 in the morning to go to her factory job where she earns a minimal wage and pays her tax be paying for rich people's kiddies wonderful schools? It is morally appalling to me.

The government, through us taxpayers have schools for everyone. The cost to parents is minimal and optional. It is recognised that some are better than others. Unlike when I was a school boy, there is now some choice about what government funded school that you would like to send your children to.

If you want to send your children to a private school, fine. You pay. I don't see why I should. And really, have you seen some of the types who go to private schools now? A pure Anglo Saxon private school has be coming to a posh suburb near you soon.

A massive increase to public funding of private religious schools in our supposedly secular country is just one more reason why PM Howard deserves to lose office and why I have always hated what he stands for.

(Note the bare leaf elms in the pictures. If you go to a government school, you probably have an ugly scrubby Paper Bark tree outside)

9 comments:

  1. Great writing Andrew. My kiddies go to the state school I went to. It is a wonderful school still. The teachers cannot do enough for the students, and the students love them for it. Early on in the piece, they established learning difficulties with our eldest, now, they are all corrected and he is doing smashingly well.
    Depending on what my kids want to do with themselves as they get older will depend on where we send them for secondary school. So if it is Private school they need we will send them.
    We have Westbourne Grammar and a couple of other Private schools out here.
    In all, I reckon kids get out of education, to a large extend, what it is they want to get out of it. I went to a state high school, the school was brand new, but the teachers weren't that flash. So I sort of thank myself for my secondary education and my good marks.
    I am hoping that my encouragement and enthusiasm for learning rubs off on the kids here at home. I know it already has somewhat, it is just needs to stay that way.
    I have had to fork out heaps of dosh of late to the school of late. Public education itself is not cheap. With a 4th child going to the school next year I can see that I will have to pic up a few extra shifts a fortnight to pay for it all. I do not want my kids missing out on swimming or camp or excursions you know.
    What you said about our taxes going into private schools, it saddens me a bit, I pay alot of tax being a casual RN and I wished it went onto our kids school.
    I accept that I will have to pay alot more money for my kid to go to private school if they need to, but I would not expect other people's taxes to go towards anything there too!
    That lady you speak of going to her low wage job, I know many people just like this. I don't know if they realise where their hard earned taxes have gone...what a sad reality.

    At my kids school, they have many trees in the yard, I planted a few of them and now they are at least 40 foot tall. There are silver birches in amongst them, a few gum trees too.No elms there though. The school's motto is "(school name here)....We Flourish". and so have those trees :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem.

    You knew I'd comment on this, Andrew - you saw it coming.

    (NB: I had a paper back tree at my public primary school - I loved it, although the school was in a posh suburb)

    Where I live, parents will physically move suburbs just to get their children into the 'zone' for the two most wanted primary schools in the region. It's pretty pathetic, actually - because both schools study in English, French and Italian - when really, all children want to do is have a good play ground and lots of paints in the art room.

    I agree re: private school funding. The fees are astronomical. All four kids in my family went to private schools - my brothers to Trinity, which receives funding. My sister to Siena, which is a Catholic Girls school that receives funding.

    And me, being me, went to a tiny private school that is privately owned and receives no funding. We didn't have an oval or a sports ground, but they were just across the road. The class sizes were small and the teachers were amazing. I think it made all the difference in the world to my education and I'm very glad I went there.

    Though I am sick of the term 'Oh, I want to a private school in Kew...' - most of which all receive tax payer funding. Trinity, Carey, MLC, Ruyton etc.

    It's very wrong - considering the fees are climbing up to 20k+ a year. Surely they receive enough money from the parents whose children are sent to the school to be able to do without govt. funding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Andrew, I agree. Sending your kid to private school and paying for it is one thing, but asking other people to pay for it seems wrong to me.

    I went to private school (about a hundred years ago!), and my parents paid out the nose for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my pet peeves. Parents say they don't want to send their kids to state schools because they're run down but they're run down because parents aren't sending their kids to them so they don't get proper funding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well as someone who went to a private school and then later worked for a religious congregation that operates a number of the richer secondary schools I can say that without much doubt I'll be take my future youngens to a public school.

    The fact is that most private colleges aren't poor. It's quite the opposite, millions of dollars flow into and out of the religious congregations pockets and onto the schools.

    When you read annual reports there is never a red or negative value. As a tax payer I don't want to have to subsidise some private school. If parents want to send their kids there then they should pay lock stock and barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it ought not be a surprise that my blog readers think similarly about the matter as I do. Thanks all for your interesting views.

    Cazzie, yes, I do know even public schools cost quite a bit now.

    Rosanna, indeed I did know you would comment. I imagined you went to MLC or that school in Burke Road near Mont Albert Road.

    Good school Daisy Jo?

    Correct Jahteh. The loss of wealthier and more vocal and eloquent parents self fulfils. I don't want our state schools to be only for the poor.

    As I guess we all know Bobby. I forgot that you worked at the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wrong on both accounts.

    I didn't go to MLC or to Camberwell Girls. You may never have heard of my school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said Rosanna, only imagined. They are not small private schools.

    ReplyDelete