Sunday, July 29, 2007

La Mome


That is what the movie is called in France, but obviously the translated The Kid is too obscure for us and US and so we get the title La Vie En Rose.

We saw a stage play in the eighties called Piaf and it starred a wonderful Jeannie Lewis. I bought the Piaf vinyl and a Piaf biography a bit later.

Like many very talented people, she had her demons and insecurities. That she came from the gutters of Paris cannot be forgotten.

I can highly recommend La Vie En Rose with the proviso that it can be a little hard to keep up with the characters. It is worth seeing just to perve on already married lover, played by the hunk Jean-Pierre Martins. I had not heard of him and I have found it difficult to find a decent pic of him. This one is a movie still, courtesy of moviereporter.net

5 comments:

  1. I went to a meeting in a place down Claremont Street South Yarra last weekend. I got there early, my forte, so I walked a little and it took me to the building where La Vie En Rose is being played...I wished I was going to see it on that day. I may go yet. However, my meeting was more important at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the pink palace in Claremont Street? Yes, we saw the movie at Como.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'adore Edith Piaf.

    Des yeux qui font baisser les miens,
    un rire qui se perd sur sa bouche,
    voila le portrait sans retouche...


    Elle est stupéfiant mais (but) La Vie en Rose est mon préféré.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you did French Rosanna. Tray excellente. And catch the movie. I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. French and I go way back. I was five when we first fell in love.

    Thanks for the review (and the trés cute photo). I have heard marvellous things about the actress.

    PS: 'Tray excellente' had me giggling.

    ReplyDelete