Thursday, June 07, 2007

Freeze me

There was a US tv show on many many years ago and I cannot think of the name of it. Was the actor in it Bill Bixby? It was about a man who became frozen when he was covered by an avalanche of snow. Fifty odd years later, he was found and he was brought back to life. He had not aged at all, unlike his son who was now fifty years older. Anyone recall?

The theme of the show was how this man who had jumped forward in time by fifty years dealt with the new things that had been developed while he was frozen. And this was back in the sixties and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to jump forward by five or six decades if you were born back before there was electricity, telephones and motor cars (and air conditioning).

Not so quite dramatic, but jumping forward from the sixties to the two thousands would be interesting too. Walking into a shop and having to pay perhaps eighty percent more for something than you thought you should. Computers, mobile phones, dvds, remote controls, electric toothbrushes in my abodes. You might be a bit surprised that although your train to the city is now air conditioned, it now takes longer to get to the city.

This post was inspired by the Polish man who went into a coma twenty years ago back in communist times and regained consciousness and was surprised to see all the products in the shops and seeing so many people walking around with a mobile phone to their ear. He would have been more surprised if he went into a shop and had to pay for something.

9 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this post, it may spur a post from me later on. There are a few patients around that have come out of induced coma for a number of years. Sad thing is, they cannot regain the yers lost, and that is a kind of tragidy really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a 1966 show called The Second Hundred Years. I can remember thinking it was an ok show when I was about 10. http://epguides.com/SecondHundredYears/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the one Lad Litter, but the name does not sound familiar to me. I remember the actors now though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think of is Encino Man. Bloody useless I am sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a Simpsons episode where a patient in Springfield hospital lies under a sign saying "In Coma Since 1976". He wakes and asks, "Hey, do Sonny & Cher still have that stupid TV show?" Dr Hibberd replies, "No he's a Congressman and she's won an Oscar." The patient pulls the plug on his life support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lad, a shorter time gives a new angle. Disgraced businessman man (insert corporate name)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to google that Rob. The movie sounds ok and I expect inspired by the sixties tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of a film I saw on SBS a few months ago called "Goodbye Lenin". It was about a woman who went in to a coma just before the fall of the Berlin Wall, woke up afterwards, and how her son tried to cover up the fact that they now lived in a re-unified capitalist society, so as not to give her too much of a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is the only movie that R has seen on his own at a theatre in many many years Ben. He just tells me it is a great movie. I am adding to my 'to see' list.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.